Thursday, November 29, 2007

This time...

You know, labor just doesn't freak me out this time.

A huge part of my anxiety issues are simply about the unknown. My labor with Abby was sort of the perfect set up for this labor because I FELT the pain and I had the epidural... so I feel totally happy to go into this whole adventure again (with the exception, as I mentioned, of the sadistic centimeter checking - which really I blame Aaron for... he's on their side... just kidding, just kidding don't call the hospital and fire the epidural pusher the night I go into labor big brother old pal of mine).

Whereas if I had done it without the drug and decided, okay, that was fun, but not for me, I would be anxious for this birth because I hadn't experienced the epidural before.

So, basically, at this point I'm just done being pregnant (yes, I know I was done three months ago) but now I can be done without guilt... but I'm not going to go insane - no stair walking to force the issue... not until we're closer to the real 40 weeks anyway... But, it's just - the first time being pregnant the birth process is a tad inconceivable but not quite (in my mind anyway) as inconceivable as having an actual person in baby form become a part of our family, of becoming a mother myself. SO the birth was just more relevant or something. I was concerned about embarrassing myself or making bad decisions or just all sorts of things whereas I couldn't even really fathom the baby part.

This time, birth is just the somewhat annoying, somewhat wonderous adventure to get passed in order to get hold of the baby.

To this day the best way I've heard it discussed is by Jen G as she heard it from her midwife mother in law which was, in essence: How you cope in life is how you cope in labor. The birth process is just like any other hurdle or pain you deal with in life. How you cope with everything else is basically how you cope during birth.

I think this is why I held a certain romantic view of natural childbirth all my life. Because for my mom there was something very meaningful, very powerful, very proud about giving birth the way they wanted to (at the time she had to fight for natural). To this day, when she talks about it she gets very glowy and proud to have really gone through a painful achievement of sorts (she equates it to running a marathon - which I think is brilliant... it's not about right or wrong it's more about if you're INTO that sort of challenge. I.E. if you are, then natural childbirth just might be for you). Point being, I'm very much like my mom... well... somewhat...so I sort of just assumed I'd feel the same way about it.

I did not however. *Smirk* So, for me, Bradley was a bad idea because I don't verbalize and vent when in distress, I retreat into myself completely. So when I was in pain that is what I did and my body didn't progress even though the pain had progressed until the drug allowed me (blissfully) to relax... well for a few seconds before the pressure started of course ;).

I'm sure Lamaze would be more up my ally - breathing and concentrating - all very inner focused, all very much more me. But I have simply found that just like I would never... ever...ever be interested in running a marathon, I just don't have the interest to achieve this goal naturally. I don't begrudge anyone any decision about it - except I do think it wise to take some class on the subject so you don't go through the process and not have information that you didn't know was important to you but actually ended up being important to you and you had no power in the making it happen or not happen because you had no knowledge of it. If that made sense.

Ahhhh sigh, of course, coming to this very tidy idea is going to be all well and good unless the epi guy isn't out somewhere changing a tire or on strike or they run out of opiates or we get stuck in a snowstorm on the way to the hospital or ...

*sigh*

4 comments:

Tims said...

any thoughts about c-sections?

Ada said...

As in having one done? Or doing one ourselves at home? ;)

Are you just trying to give me something new to be anxious about? Since I definitely haven't experienced that before.

Not that I ever thought it was before, but as I have now seen through a friend that whole c-section thing is not exactly wine and roses. I don't especially want one... if I can help it obviously health of baby is most important.

There is one little anxiety that wouldn't exist with a c-section but I'm not too anxious about that... being vague on purpose.

Albert said...

my dear one - this time will be like many other times for me, resigned to watching and waiting ..that's what a man does, powerless to be much help finishing what he got started, watching and waiting and totally trusting in the woman's special partnership with god, looking on in such love for what she is doing by the hour, and what will soon come, imagining with awe the new life she has been creating in her for all these months, wishing he could do something more .. "Can I rub her back -- take on some of the labor? .. get her a cup of tea?".. well, no thanks, she's busy - real busy - making a baby. But men can feel and say this thanks for sure .. and say how much we love you, woman, and .. my daughter's having a baby! .. and wow, I'm proud and grateful, and I'm glad I'm here for this one, and stuff like that.
Beats me .. it's sooo big!

Jen Gray said...

I actually really, really like your comment about "going natural" being like running a marathon. Truly. And not being snarky about that. =)

BUT! (And here's where the marathon analogy breaks down, just like all analogies must in the end), there are different reasons for foregoing drugs in childbirth. Some do it for the accomplishment. Me? Being the research-minded person I am, I did it because I liked what the research had to say about drug-free birth and maternal and neonatal outcomes.

However, I also totally and fully support a woman's informed choice in this and all other matters! ;-) To each her own!

As for the "laboring as we live" thing....I still also really really love that. What does that say about me? That I like to have a bunch of people around to complain and cry to. Heh heh.