Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Attention Doctors and Nurses of the World

Just in case you were unaware... when you do that thing where you check how dilated a pregnant woman is...

It really really really ... hurts... or is REALLY weirdly uncomfortable... I'm not sure I can describe the sensation.

I do not plan on going through many labor pains this time - at least not in the traditional natural sense. I plan on waiting a decent time to go to the hospital and then asking oh so politely for the epidural when I get there.

Today was the second week the Doc checked my dilation. And it make me realize rather poignantly that the pain of contractions... that I could, if I wanted to, deal with. The awful weird pain of being checked however is something I do not ever want to deal with while in labor again. Okay, I suppose the FIRST few minutes when I get there they have to check before they give me the drug, but that's it I tell you - I want no other memory of it. I hate it. And it adds injury to injury when it's done during the pain of contractions.

Phooey. I don't like it. I remember the rather rude awakening that this is not the movies when the triage nurse checked when I got to the hospital with Abby. At that point I was already having fairly strong contractions (nothing of course to what they became but still) and I looked over at Steve like... "No, she did not!" But perhaps it was just that nurse - she's not in the labor wing... but no... And if for no other reason I am going to get the epidural just to spite... I mean just to not have to feel that three times during labor!

I am, just so you all know, an unexciting 2cm dilated at this point. What is the opposite of "nothing to shake a stick at"? because actually... it is nothing... so go ahead and shake a stick... whatever that does for ya.

7 comments:

Albert said...

I applaud you, honey. Let them know you don't want XS checking.

Ada said...

No, I meant I don't care how many times they check me as long as I have the druuuuuuug.

Aaron said...

Now, there's no need to single us out. If you like I can call the hospital and tell them you're going to have it on your floor. Don't bite the hand that... shoots opiates into your epidural space with a long needle.

Aaron said...

That was a joke but the google-man posted it before I put... ";)" in it.

Ada said...

Yes, on my blog I will automatically fill in a ";)" where I assume it is meant, don't ever worry.

And trust me I'm not biting anyone's hand considering the same hand that does the opiates is the hand that... well.. lets not go there.

Lori said...

I don't even remember feeling them check me for dilation. I think it's because, when my water broke and Rachel dropped down onto my spine (back labor), all I felt was INTENSE PAIN that hardly even eased between contractions. So I guess the bright side of that is avoiding the uncomfortable feeling of being checked for dilation.

That said, I fully plan to ask for an epidural again. I know some people argue that you're not "really" going through giving birth if you have an epidural because you're not experiencing all the sensations. To those people I say: Bull crap.

I felt plenty of sensations, thank you. And they turned off my epidural part way through pushing because it kept beeping, so after a while the meds wore off and I was already really tired and was then trying to push through both exhaustion and pain. They got the anesthesiologist back in there, and he just pushed the tubing back a little further onto the machine (apparently it had gotten pulled out just enough to cause an alarm to keep going off), turned it back on, and the drip started up again. Once it did, I felt like I could deal with more pushing and get that baby out. Otherwise, I was really doubtful about my ability to get it done.

So, I say, whatever it takes to get you and the baby through labor safely is the right choice for you. And I don't think anyone is heroic for forgoing an epidural, or stupid for not getting one, or wimpy for having one. So there. I'm hoping to wait a little longer before asking for one this time, but if I need it early, I need it early.

Jen Gray said...

Yeah, I remember that (the checking for dilation). It sucked.

Don't forget the good part, though: seeing your baby's face for the very first time! Bliss. =)