Thursday, November 01, 2007

"I'm going to Miss Everything"

My day. Steve's day. Abby's day. Did not start well.

I had to work and bring snack to the school today so I wanted to get up early. So when the first alarm went off and held it in my hand so that I could silence it at the first snooze. One problem: it's kinetic so it never went off again. I woke up about five minutes before I should be off to the school toting Abby and snack. This was not possible so I asked Steve to take over the Abby portion of the morning and we'd switch cars there (Steve didn't have the carseat in his car).

So, fairly proud of myself for my quickness I start off in Steve's car. I get about a block and a half to a stop sign when, no matter how much gas I applied it acted as if it wasn't getting any. Cars start queuing up behind me despite my hazards, I realize, in my haste, I had grabbed my purse from my car but not my cell phone. So I am not too worried about walking back to the house - I hadn't gotten too far, but I was not near the curb - sorta half in the middle of the street. Finally a nice man helped me get it close to a curb even though it was a red curb - it would have to do.

THEN luckily Claire's dad just happened to drive by (on his way back from help another pre-school family who'd locked their keys in their car...) so he actually drove me back to my house and waited in case I needed a ride to school. I interrupted Steve just as he was about to feed Abby breakfast, told him the situation and grabbed Abby and some shoes and headed out the door to have Adam drive us to school.

Abby is *very* confused and would really just like to go back and get her pancakes.

We get to school, Abby is quickly distracted by "Meggie" and she has a great day at school. I wait patiently for outside time to end before trying to get in touch with Steve and figure out what has happened. It takes a while. I sweep the perimeter of the play yard and start feeling some strain on my belly so down I sit.

I finally get in touch with Steve who has been waiting for the tow truck for two hours and yelling at the guy from Jiffy Lube (JL broke his car last week during a routine check and kept it to fix it but it has been acting weird since). Miss Janet sends me home and gets Abby out of class at the same time. Abby is very *very* confused and sad as now she's going to 'miss everything' (She does love school and kids but I wonder if this sadness/comment was also due to the fact that, though the kids aren't really punished if they can't control themselves in class, they are sent outside with a parent until they can control themselves. And when that happens I think the teacher usually says, 'you're going to miss such and such, so I hope you can come back before it's over.' So I wonder if she almost felt like she was being deprived). Luckily the parent driving *me* home was willing to drive Abby home at the end of school so we sent her back into the class and sent me home.

Steve's car is now at the dealership... we are *not* going to invest much into fixing that car. So we'll see how we do for a while with one car and one borrowed MarySue car.

Oh well, we have the rest of the day to make it better.

2 comments:

Dave said...

I hate days like that - snowballing that doesn't ever seem to slow down...

Creative Mama said...

um... you did try to make it a better day...

let me know how we can help... seriously