Tuesday, November 06, 2007

*Cringe* This is *so* not Original of me...

Okay, don't tar and feather me for being a total Oprah geek but Oprah did a special on big youtube hits and because I am not super-uber-cool-up-on-things I have never heard of any of them.

BUT this guy caught me because it is so Cinderella... which I know is so cliche and so I dunno - predictable and saccharine of me to love... but I do! And I'm like a year behind the times to know about it and all you experienced bloggers out there are SO cringing that I'm linking to this... but ha! You're too afraid to say anything because I'm pregnant so I win. (Watch out Dad, this will make you cry - could have been you on the piano if it weren't for that darn stage fright!)



I was so waiting for the punchline - like it was a recording or what have you - but no, guy won this UK reality show and really has this voice and Cowell really signed him up for a CD "One Chance" after the show.

I came back to the computer to watch the whole little youtube video of this first round and realized I was really really emotional and not sure why and I think it's because this made me happy for this bloke.

4 comments:

Juliana Shain said...

Torsten kept begging me to look him up on you tube and I kept forgetting. Then I heard them talking about him on the radio the other night and I reminded myself that I had to look it up. And I forgot again. So finally I got to see this guy! He really is phenomenal. And funny how the emotion in that song (don't even know what the words actually translate to) really makes you want to start bawling on the spot.

diane said...

I looked him up this morning...and it is just such a great story. He was 30k in debt for voice lessons, he tried to to get auditions and no one would give him the time of day. He was just on the point of giving up. It is SO cool and I will buy the CD.

It makes me wonder how much talent goes unrecognized and unlamented. When I think of missing all those wonderful years of Harry Potter, for instance...if no one had listened....

I wish Paul Potts a wonderous and happy life.

Albert said...

This is where Dad lives .. I thought you knew! (Wait, maybe you do know)

By the way, Aunt Julie, important to know the last 2 phrases of the piece in the opera are a repeat of the Italian lump-in-the-throat word, "vincero!" (pronounced vinchairo) and meaning (loosely) "I will be victorious".

Juliana Shain said...

Thanx for the translation, papa bear. That makes sense. It is quite amazing how inspired one feels without even knowing the words. Just goes to show you that music is its own language.