Monday, December 31, 2007

Last Random Blog of 2007

My abdominal muscles are now only a fingers width apart which means (according to the internet, which is obviously where I get all my medical advice from when I am not calling Aaron) I can do sit ups again. Which actually gets me excited because I won't be doing mindless sit-ups but pilates which gives me a lot of peace.

Abby's obnoxious talking parrot needs a mention. Because if you noticed in the Auntie cuddling pictures in the A&J blog Abby is also cuddling with the parrot... which is not a cuddly toy. It doesn't respond correctly to the verbal cues it is supposed to respond to. All the same, when it says "I love you" or "Whatcha doin'" Abby caresses his head and says, "I love you too." Today at the table we were trying to get him to "go to sleep" and he wouldn't and Abby got fed up, "Why won't you just go to sleep!? Go to sleep silly bird! Now!"

We are not really doing Santa I think we've decided. I had some presents designated from Santa but when the day came, Abby didn't really care and Steve was slightly offended we were giving away credit ;). SO we certainly won't be saying anything negative, but I think generally we won't go into it. Unless she gets really into it on her own? Hmm. Not sure what happens in that case.

THE ORANGES ARE COMING... be aware my family and friends... Oranges and Grapefruit... the crates are coming... You'll save me from anxiety associated with selling my crates right? Right? Pretty please? With oranges on top?

Have I told you that for most of this year Abby called sneezes "blesses"?

And soon she'll figure out the Orange Dream Machine at Jamba Juice is not the Orange Bling Maching. I think one of the things that is going to change this year is that I'm going to start liking Jamba Juice.

Kindergarten testing is also coming up in January...

Steve has the touch with Jack. He is actually more successful than I am in getting him to settle and go to sleep. This is the only thing that has kept me sane.

Abby is fighting everything so hard. I got that feeling again today like she and I are both pretending to be all right even though we're both at the end of our ropes. I really truly think we just need school back now and that right there is going to be half the battle. I think I can handle this whole two-kid dynamic better when I have that school break. I just need that time to rest my brain...

Abby is coughing again. Did I mention what Gramma's on the spot medicine for Abby's cough was now that we can't give kids cough medicine? I awoke one morning to find that chocolate chips and water have magical properties at night for coughing girls. Too funny. Aaron, an actual medical reference, figured it was just as good a placebo as the old cough medicine itself.
Off to administer my placebo.

7 comments:

diane said...

Dare I mention the criticism I have received over the years for not promoting Santa!!! Ah vindication is sweet!

Juliana Shain said...

My parents told me Santa didn't exist because they were all about honesty. But with my peers' insistence, I informed them that they were misinformed....until the devastating day when I learned the truth.

My precious niece received that same talking parrot. She is less than thrilled with it. Partly because her grandma terrified her 2 minutes out of the box by saying if she pat its back too hard, it would come to life. Just brilliant. Children have so many unrealistic fears that you spend years trying to overcome. Then you go and heap a whole bunch more on them. I had to walk her thru the mechanics of the bird and stick my hand in its mouth before she believed me that it would never ever EVER come to life. Promise. Never. No, never. No, not even then.

Dave said...

I guess I should retract my pro-Santa rant of last week then. I do acknowledge the frustration of not getting credit for all the gifts, though. Little do they realize the amount of freelancer and all-nighters...

Ada said...

Hey, I'm pro Santa, I just don't have the energy to MAKE the magic of it all happen. The way Steve says it - He believed in Santa but his parents never said any of the presents were from Santa so he never cared one way or the other, after all, what did Santa ever do for him?

Ada said...

p.s. that talking parrot - was 100 dollars December 20, 50 December 21, and I ended up with it for 20 something... if I had paid 100 I would be pretty upset.

Dave said...

I do find myself trying to dial Shannon down on hyping the fictional characters, from Santa and the Easter Bunny to Mickey Mouse. She will at times put in huge efforts to flesh out their reality in our kids minds, and that, particularly with the non-Santa entities, does concern me at times.

diane said...

Hey quit the worrying. I have never heard about any SERIOUS emotional trauma arising from believing or not believing in Santa. Like most everything else to do with parenting, if you go with what is comfortable, it will work for the kids.

Every kid knows about pretending and imagining. If Abby can pretend set of kitchen tongs are the "dad" and "mom" and a bottle opener the "baby" that gets tenderly tucked into a box, I doubt if she will have any problem dealing with Santa.