Saturday, December 08, 2007

Cheesy God Stuff

So I'm looking at the handsome little face with the cute little chubby cheeks - the baby whose movement under the blankets is the same as under my skin just a few days ago and I started thinking again of this whole gratefulness issue.

Funnily enough, my new maternal thoughts tend to come out in song lyrics. Not on purpose but I'll be thinking something and realize - nope nothing is new under the sun - that thought is totally in a praise song.

SO, for example, I was thinking partially the reason it is so uncomfortable to be so grateful to God is that I have no way of repaying Him - nothing would be enough and just all that sort of thing. And then, just like the verses follow, my next thought was, all I do have to offer is all that I am, my life, my faith, my worship. But, not to be self-depreciating, this seems insufficient if not for the next thing I thought about.

Which, again, was this little life in my hands. I show my gratitude by loving what (or who) God has entrusted to me. Not just new Jack and wonderful Abby, but Steve and friends and family. And while even that hardly seems like a trade (more of a given), it feels right about right when I consider I am God's child as much as my beloved are His children. And that, of course, makes all the difference.

1 comment:

Juliana Shain said...

I understand what you're saying. Maybe if you think of Abby asking YOU the same question. How does she repay YOU, as her mother, for all that you've done for her. You would reply that her love for you, herself, her family, and the world is more than enough payment. Love seems so simple, but it's really quite massive in its abundance.

And afterall, it's the greatest gift that God created for us so he would probably be quite pleased if that's the way you repay him.
; )