Saturday, December 08, 2007

Pain and Exhaustion

Well, there is one thing about the pain of labor/childbirth and the subsequent pain that my mom and I agree about. It's fascinating.

I thought I remembered the pain even though we're not supposed to, but I didn't. Especially not the pain of recovery.

Last night was very difficult every few hours when I needed to get to the restroom and bleed all over the place. The contractions of my uterus trying to return to it's normal size were just as strong as the contractions I got the epidural to deal with. Seems ironic and unfair.

AT the same time, (this is also something my mom and I share), the feeling of gratefulness and happiness that comes with the relief of that pain is sweeter than actually not having the pain. At least... if you have to have the pain... that makes no sense, but yeah.

Exhaustion, true exhaustion, is just as fascinating. Most of the day I feel totally normal, but there will be sudden spurts that come on randomly where I will literally drop my head in a micronap. It happens when I'm typing for example, or nursing mostly.

And this post is going to end now as I can't keep my eyelids open.

1 comment:

Creative Mama said...

I use to get that same urge the first few weeks of nursing... to fall asleep... Give us a call if you need ANYTHING...