Saturday, December 22, 2007

Moby Dick Update

Steve retreated that day.

He fell back to regroup, lick his wounds and cook up a new strategy.

To be fair, it was the LEDs that got him. The white is really bluish and he'll be the first to admit... it threw him.

But he hadn't given up. No, he let the tree think it would stay as you see it here- sparse and cold and wintery (not that theres anything wrong with that):


Last night, I was sure the end was near. Steve looked so badly beaten, the extra icicles still encased in their boxes - the plastic not even broken and Steve was slipping into dementia - insisting the tree was not straight and spending have the night "straightening" it.

But I was naive. I fell for the same trap the tree most certainly did. Steve came home from work this morning with renewed vigor, with more lights and a new star and the tree didn't have a chance.

I will edit later with a triumphant victory picture.

OooOo the tree is getting desperate - low blow - the new lights Steve came home with had the bulbs stolen out of them from the store.

These tactics will not be rewarded, he has gone back out and intends to conquer.

3 comments:

Ada said...

Well Hi there adam gray.

you know... I have a secret confession to make.

I think real trees are ugly. ER hmm... don't tell anyone.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I was witness to Steve's agony last night:
Steve, hand on chin: "I still think it's crooked."

Me, suppressing a giggle because I love this guy and don't want to unnecessarily traumatize him: "Ahh, you know at a certain angle it could be interpreted as 'crooked', Steve .. Good thinking, man."

Steve, not indicating he heard me at all: "Mmm. There is just SOMETHING wrong here"
Long Pause.

Me, fearing I've patronized him and he might have noticed: "So, Steve, How about them Lakers, man"!

Steve still deeply engrossed silently steps back two paces and continues to contemplate the tree. The Lakers can wait. THIS is serious.

Jack lets out a screach and we all bolt towards Mommy .. saved by the nursing fairy.

Juliana Shain said...

This is just so funny. I think this goes on in many more homes than we know.