Sunday, January 25, 2009

Storm Brewing

The COOLEST thing just happened.

I was sitting on my living room floor sorting laundry and I saw a big electric flash through the window - Confused, I waited a few seconds for the boom of thunder and sure enough - CRACK.

I waited some more and sure enough the first soft splatters of raindrops against the window... then some more serious rain... then the pitter patter of hail...

Then... the house is accosted by ping pong balls of hail (not nearly that big, but that's how it sounded in this old house).

Amazing. I grabbed the camera with my super cool flash and started taking pictures from the shelter of our front porch area... If I was really really cool I would have gone out in the street to get the cool shot of the whole street covered in layers of hail, but I was afraid for the safety of my camera... and my face as I tried to walk down slippery stairs to the street. GAH... I'm so annoyed I didn't do it - but I really think it would have been a bad idea.

Update: Okay I went back out there now that its not actively hailing/raining. And... yeah - I'm not equipped, even with my handy dandy flash for a night shoot with crazy reflecting hail on the ground.

Oh well. At least I went out there and did it. My feet and toes hurt... it was VERY cold standing in the little ice pellets. Shocker, huh? But I thought all my shoes were downstairs and it's raining which will certainly flush all the hail away - I had to be quick, don't you see? Ahhhh. The warmth is returning to my toes... nice...

Update #2: I just couldn't leave it there. I went back out with the lessons learned two minutes ago under my belt. I'm happy now.

You can see the results on brightwatersphotography.blogspot.com in the next couple days

3 comments:

Chef Ed said...

post! post! I missed the hail storm entirely...

megan said...

How crazy was that!? My car was covered in hail this morning... it reminded me of my time in MN, yet a tad warmer.

Creative Mama said...

way to be spontaneous my dear... out of your house DURING A STORM... and for the record... I WAS dead asleep when it all when down...