Friday, January 09, 2009

Fascinating...

People really raise their eyebrows at us when we answer the "How long have you been married?" question with, "Almost ten years."

There is something about this milestone that gives off a sort of legitimacy.

Anyway, a guy we were meeting with about our stairway asked how long, we answered, and he looked at Steve with this very real respect... not quite awe, but definite admiration.

Now, this could be because I looked pretty awful as I was waiting until after the meeting to have my shower. BUT I choose to think it was because he felt like it takes a real stand-up guy to stay married. Again, I don't choose to think he feels this way because women are a pain in the butt and all the other negative things I could think.

It was interesting. I think it's one of those glimpses into men that we women dismiss - how much a successful marriage means to them in that it it shows a certain amount of success as a man as well. I find that very honorable if I'm reading that right.

Of course I also got the vibe this man thought it was the men that hold it all together. And... you know... I'm not really thinking he's wrong. Of course us womenfolk go around killing ourselves trying to keep the day to day and in turn the whole lifetime together, it's just... when I think of Steve and Marriage, I think of steady and not swaying and just unimpressed with the circumstances in each of those day to days - perspective I guess the word is, no matter what the day brings.

1 comment:

Creative Mama said...

dude. the funny thing is. I know that guy... and his story more or less... so I can totally imagine exactly how he reacted...

was it a productive visit?