Tuesday, January 13, 2009

"I've Well and Truly Ruined it This time"

Ah, the most joyous of all the phrases my mom utters.

Why you ask, aghast?

Because that's what she says when she really REALLY burns the fudge. And one of two things happen after she's said it - the fudge actually turns to petrified stone and is really ruined (and I ow my mom a new saucepan) or...

The fudge really truly is perfect.

Sigh. I have a perfect batch of burnt fudge in my fridge. How will I both keep it forever and eat it? I don't know - I'm working on the problem

I have gotten used to and much enjoyed (dare I say, adored) her less burned offerings in the last year since the last perfect batch - but... there really is only one sort of truly burnt fudge...

3 comments:

diane said...

Sigh! Unfortunately, I do not have a scientific mentality. If I did, I would document each and every batch of fudge to see what sort of method I used (it varies...sometimes I throw everything into the pot and boil; sometimes I smush around the sugar and chocolet to blend it before I pour in the milk, that sort of thing), what type of milk (whole, fat free, canned), how long I cook it and how stiff the "soft ball" is... I do none of these things.

I start the process feeling defeated and hopeless, so I just wing it and don't pay attention. So the awful batches will never happen again, but neather will the perfect batches. To compound the problem, they all seem the same to me...it is only super sensitive taster daughter who can tell them apart.

Ah well, it is my cross to bear and I'll try to hold up.

Tims said...

Hey oh photographer you are... I have heard much spoken of this so called fudge and I have never seen any proof (read: artsy photos with cool filters) posted on this here blog-o-site. Humor me in my old age. What does this most delectable, rarely had treat look like when good and properly burninated?

megan said...

Question: is this burnt fudge the chocolate you drizzle on top of (what I call) Adrea cookies? If not, I'm not sure I've seen it...does it exist? Perhaps Tim is right, photos may be needed proof.