Thursday, January 08, 2009

Jack - By MYSELF

If Jack could say words, those are the words he would say.... those and "Mommy, mommy I love you so much" of course.

If I laugh at you, scoff, mock, etc you when you ask "Can you tell a difference in personality yet between Jack and Abby" please do not take offense. I am laughing at the sheer insanity of souls, and how incredible that it can be so immediate that one can tell their individuality - I am not laughing AT you.

The doctor mentioned at Jack's year appointment that he should be showing interest in feeding himself soon. I don't remember the doctor saying that during Abby's year appointment, but that could very possibly be because Abby screamed for dear life during every second of her doctor's appointments until she was 3.

I didn't think much of it either way because Abby never really cared about feeding herself. Abby - it must be said - was born high class. While she has always been incredibly sure of what she's wanted - doing things herself have not been tops on the list.

Jack... now Jack... he's more a blue collar kind of guy. And "doing it himself" - oh - yeah - that would be VITALLY important to him. How vitally important you ask?

Well, after a few days of him tug of war with the bowl of oatmeal & him constantly yanking the bowl of Cheerios out of my hand, yelling at me face to face in a barking, outraged sort of way, I simply had to listen to him.

And I put up with this... THIS is how clear he was, that I was willing to clean up after this:

"Ah, cold oatmeal and soggy Cheerios, this is what I've been talkin' about!"
"Freedom tastes so good!"
"I've got oatmeal on my what now?"

He was so smug, I cannot even tell you. As a baby, you know you've outdone yourself when the wet rag your mom had to use to clean you off sticks to the floor after use.

3 comments:

Jen Gray said...

Remember....Anna NEVER allowed us to feed her. She self fed from 6 months on. That was a LOT of messes to clean up. So, heh heh, yeah, I hear you on the independent child front. In fact, probably her fave phrase right now is "Anna DO IT!" or "Do it myself!!!!" (food related or not!).

Jen Gray said...

P.S. Jack is adorable adorable adorable. : )

Ada said...

Yeah - I didn't really believe you ;) Snort - not really, but I couldn't imagine... nowwwww I get it.