Tuesday, September 01, 2009

"Mommy"

I remember, quite vividly, holding a squirmy scrawny little Abby and thinking in my romantic thoughts, "Someday, she's going to call me Mommy" and thinking that was wild and wonderful and cool.

AND it was.

And then I belonged to Jack too - there is something utterly possessive about that title.

I still get a little mushy when Jack goes around looking for me mumbling "mmummmummummummm" (not exactly as exact as "DADDY", but I get the idea).

And I find myself smiling indulgently when I overhear Abby say to a friend, "I'll be right back, I have to ask my mom." Because she somehow does seem to have a bit of pride to have a mom to ask? I dunno- that sounds weird, just a vibe I get.

Of course... there is also the other side. There are always two sides, aren't there?

The side of, "If someone calls out for "Mommy" one more time in the next ten seconds I'm going to throw this plate out the window."

Or when they call for you desperately as you have to leave as if you are abandoning them forever and their world will never be the same again. Ah yes, that one isn't so fun either.

But you know... on the whole... well... good, bad, or ugly it is bound to change fifteen minutes from now.

Ahh. Motherhood.

3 comments:

Creative Mama said...

i love this post. soo true

diane said...

Oh yeh!

Lori said...

I love "Mom?" "Yes, Rachel?" "I love you!"

The one that drives me nuts goes something like this:
R - Mom?
Me - Yes, Rachel?
R - Mom?
Me - Yes, Rachel?
R - Mom?
Me - Okay, think about what it is you want to tell me...