Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Incredible Kindergarten Girl

Abby took her first day of Kindergarten like a chocolate shake.

It was actually really good that we've been so displaced and busy these last few weeks because I haven't had time to stress too much over the beginning of school and neither has Abby. We've had a few mentions of it - like Monday while we were taking Steve to Starbucks "What if my friends don't like me?" and wanting to know what they would DO in this new school.

Open House yesterday was great - I'm glad I went because it's something I'd usually have tried to avoid (in my mind I would have rolled my eyes insisting it can do just as much harm as good as it's not structured and since the parents are there we're the ones in charge of our kids and we always look weird when its that situation - too lax or too hovering). But it was great because Abby LOVED her room. She saw that there was a Jonathan (which she pronounces Jonnifer) in her class and apparently Joe's real name is Jonathan so she was convinced he'd be there and that set everything in the world right apparently. This made me nervous as I didn't know for sure this Jonathan was Joe, but whatever. She thought the classroom was the coolest and didn't ask her teacher (Mrs. French) if she spoke French (which I appreciated, since she'd been asking ME for weeks. I finally figured out though it wasn't just the play on names - but Abby was actually concerned Mrs. French would teach the class in French and Abby is well aware she doesn't know French).

Otherwise the only other mentions were deciding what to wear. She came out of her room about two hours passed bedtime and right before I was about to insist crankily that she get back in bed she told me the order of her outfits for the next three days. Apparently, she'd been pretty worried about it. Okay I say. Okay she says with a half smile and goes off to bed again.

This morning, all was normal. On the way to school I thought I'd give her one more opportuniy to choose whether or not I walked her into class or dropped her off through the carline. I'd basically decided to walk her in, feeling like I'd be worried about her the whole day if I didn't. She said she wanted to be dropped off but she'd tell me if she got shy and wanted me to walk in instead. I said that was okay but she'd have to make a decision soon about whether or not she was shy cuz we were almost there.

She took some time. Then sighed, "Momma, I really wanna try this on my own."

What a girl. Okay I say and off we go. There were waving teachers and cheerleaders doing a cheer and she was so excited and happy. She got out fine, though there were not quite as many people there to show her the way as I expected to be.

Afterward Abby said some adults and parents helped show her where to go, so for any of your adults and parents out there wondering what sort of insensitive mom dropped off her precious little girl at a new school all by herself when she didn't even know where to go - that was me, and I had to confirm the independence, didn't I?!

I picked her up and she assured me it was "Awesome" and that Joe was indeed in her class so all was fine. Literally that's how it was for her. Of course it was fine because Joe was there. I'll be meeting this Joe on Monday when I work at the school. Should be quite an experience.

She also told me they told her a great story about a raccoon (or some rodent like character) who didn't want to go to school but that his mom gave him a kiss on the palm of the hand and every time he put his hand to his cheek he felt the warmth of her kiss. It was so sweet how she told it.

She wasn't overly hyper or exhausted. Granted, it's the first day, but the first day of full day pre-K and she was happy but obviously exhausted saying, "it was a LONG day." Today she prattled on about everything they did and kept saying "WHAT a day it's been."

Jack, by the way, is not a fan of the carline. I know you're all shocked.

I like the carline fine. But I've already had all the normal problems packed into just the one day. I.E. when I dropped Abby off there was a discussion with the adult and a friend about whether or not she really didn't need her backpack (I could have sworn that was optional and she just wanted her folder so I told her she didn't have to and blah blah) anyway so I totally held up the carline - though to be fair to me, I was just there because they seemed to want me not to head out. So then they told me to pull forward to get out of the way and I did but Abby was still there in the door sorta so my attention was on her and if the line of parents and kids walking in together hadn't been on their toes they could have been very slowly plowed down as I idled forward. Then on the pick up line I was careful not to block a driveway but then I was sort of in the street and I thought I might fit behind the car in front of me - but I didn't at all - totally blocked the driveway of a whole little apartment complex where people were regularly going in and out. So then I tried to back off but the carline had closed in behind me. Finally someone honked the person behind me farther away and rather than trying to totally back out(that would have sucked - as twenty cars behind me would ALL have had to get that memo), I just got out of the line as soon as I had space (I would have done that earlier but I was totally closed in). The problem that I hadn't really "got" in my head was that though you have to go early in order to be on time, since the gates don't open until 3 you really are just sitting there. For ten to fifteen minutes with no movement at all. So you can't just block a driveway for a second like you can when the line is moving.

OOOOooh Well. I survived. It all worked out. I overheard another mother tell her son that the carline was NOT going to work for her. I think she just got flustered by the waiting until the gate opened issue. It seems weird to just be sitting there but if you don't expect movement it shouldn't be a problem, right?

Anyway that was her first day of REAL school - and onward she'll march for years and years and years. Insanity.

OH and I forgot her nap towel and her snack - did I already say that?

2 comments:

Jen Gray said...

Sweet, Sweet, Sweet! So glad it went so well (minus stupid car line things).

The book is "The Kissing Hand" and it is, indeed, raccoons. Very nice little book to talk about separation and independence from Mom and the fact that just because we're apart doesn't mean Mom doesn't love us or will forget us. I love that they read that the first day--just perfect. (We used this book for Anna on days I had to go get my chemo; not the same, obviously, and actually not what the book was intended for but same basic message--Mama loves you, here's a kiss to remember me by, I'll see you after a while!).

: )

Albert said...

Wonderful, honey!
O that damn first day Kindergarten! For me it was abandonment time three times in a row (my 2 kids and myself)! And I remember all three as if it were yesterday. I'm so proud of our beautiful Abby. And her momma!