Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Impromptu Coronado

just one more inch, Jack!

LOVE this look from Jack...

Oddly enough, I have been to Coronado a LOT recently. Mostly on these little unplanned trips to see Noni.

This weekend, I have no idea what got into me, but when Zoozie suggested she would take Abby and Caiah to visit Noni for one night only, I thought - well... lets throw Jack (and I) in the mix then too. I think my impulse had something to do with the fact that I'd hoped to go down there with Wesley's Family this same weekend but had never been able to get it together. I had originally had three shoots and two canceled. AND it is the last weekend before soccer starts - I dunno - it just seemed meant.

Course we didn't know at the time we'd be at the condo again instead of the house (poor Noni's neighbors) and I didn't realize at all it was a holiday weekend.

We picked up Caiah and bravely set off. And bravely we sat in traffic for four hours. Zoozie manned the iphone giving me regular (if somewhat optimistic - is false too strong a word ;)? ) updates on the traffic conditions.

Jack, who should have slept soundly about half the time slept for only thirty minutes - the fun the other two cousins in the back were having was just too much for him. Well, it could have been them or the people in the front yelling at the traffic.

We finally got through the traffic - smooth green lines on the traffic watch as far as the eye could see. Jack was freaking out - he's not a huge fan of the car, but does pretty well on short (90 minutes) drives now. This one, with limited nap... he was FLIPPING out. Not exactly screaming, but I dunno- IIII could feel the tension of the impending explosion in the air. Zoozie got any side abs workout she may have wanted twisting around rescuing a binky or serving snacks or even sacrificing her iphone trying to just keep everyone together while we crawled along.

So ... we stopped for lunch. We had to. And what could be the harm? We were finally clear of the traffic - what could possibly happen in twenty minutes?

oHHHhhh ALL red and yellow lines on traffic watch the rest of the way - that's what could happen.

We lost all hope in keeping Jack from exploding. Our goal was just to get there.

I was all prepared (being me) to have to sit and coddle Jack a bit when we got there, but no - he was fine as soon as he was out of the car. *rolls eyes*

He wasn't at his best for sure, but after a long night's sleep he was a delight the next day.

Caiah and Abby were too busy with each other to care much about anyone else. They played and played and played. Abby, of course, didn't forget her brother whom she cuddled and wrestled with and carried around as if she was the bottom half of a circus performer.

3 comments:

megan said...

Sitting in traffic for FOUR hours!!! You and Zozzie are a mighty women! I think I would have been in the back fussing with Jack if I had to sit in a car that long. Let's not forget you are as pregnant as I am...I don't like to go anywhere where a bathroom isn't in plain sight. ;)

Jen Gray said...

I can SO sympathize with grumpy car baby thing. I don't think we ever had a time in the car at all where Anna didn't scream the entire time until after she was 18 months old.

Dave said...

Wesley's family would have enjoyed that. What happened? Ohhh, Wesley's mommy...