Saturday, December 27, 2008

Some Recovery



As you all know I lost my hard drive a couple months back - my external terabyte hard drive that I had spent long long long hours compiling everything we had of everything and putting it "safely" on the drive. The Apple people have since told me that this kind of drive has no "head protection" and... considering I didn't just knock it over while it was working, I drop kicked it - that sort of drive is probably a bad idea for me.

Anyway, I haven't dwelt much on the whole thing because on the one hand, it's okay. My best pictures and most important pictures are on snapfish or printed out... I think anyway. And on the other hand, it's just too painful to think about what I lost - especially since I'm not totally sure. It's not as if I have a catalog of what was on there compared to what I have elsewhere.

Mainly what I'm pretty sure I've lost are the not quite top pictures - the ones that I didn't post on the blog because another was a bit better or the ones that didn't flatter Jack or something like that - where now I'd like them very much just for their historical significance.

On the whole, I've been fine about it, but have lost a spark somehow. I'm apathetic about backing up the recommended three places. It all seems pointless as I've already lost everything once.

Taunting me have been the ghosts of all these lost images in iPhoto because I never rebuild my thumbnail cache and even when I do it doesn't seem to do what I think its supposed to do.

Anyway, I finally thought to screen-cap the ghosts and it's like a little ray of sunshine. At least I have all the still images -ridiculously small or not... that I lost. I just won't think of the videos.


1 comment:

megan said...

The same thing happened to me when my hard drive crashed. Bryan sent my computer to Drive Savers and all of my projects, files, images, documents, etc were placed on an external hard drive. Every file got renamed with a random number and unfortunately none of the file extensions were intact. It was like looking for a needle in a hay stack. I share your pain.