Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Goodbye Lynx


Never was there a more loving, more vocal and generally co-dependent cat. We had to say good-bye today and it felt awful. I feel good about the decision and the vet agreed but it still felt awful. I was there with her for the end thinking she'd feel some love from me, but I think it was worse. By that time she's already been stuck with the thingamabobber and so it felt like it just delayed her fear and stress.

I know for sure that I loved her. We shouldn't have had the cats, but I don't think her life was bad. The saddest part is simply that I know she loved us deeply and she loved Abby and that is what makes it awful for me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so, so sorry. What a darling kitty.

Albert said...

Yeah, honey, I know how you feel. Makes me want to treat Ivan even better. And Lynx had a good life.

diane said...

Doing the right thing hurts sometimes. I'll be thinking of you.

Juliana Shain said...

Are you kidding me?!! What the heck were you doing on the phone with me or e-mailing or anything today, after this had gone on?! Why didn't you tell me?!! That's freakin' horrible!

Jen Gray said...

So sorry....that is so hard.

Lori said...

I'm sorry to hear that, Adrea. Did we tell you that we lost Tinsel last year? She was 15 and had thyroid problems ever since we'd had her. She'd been put on more and more medication in the 6 months since we'd moved here, and she finally just started going steadily downhill for a few weeks. She ended up having a stroke. It didn't kill her, but she was obviously dying, and we didn't have the heart to just wait another day or two for it to happen naturally. You could tell she was suffering, and she wasn't moving around at all. We took her in to the vet, and the shot worked very quickly. I think she was relieved. And yet I still felt guilty for a while, second-guessing myself and wondering if we did the right thing. I'm sure that we did, but it's easy to wonder if there was anything else you should have done. I'm sure you did all you could to ease Lynx's suffering and to make her feel loved.