Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Getting Worse

The sleep situation doesn't seem to have a good ending. Laugh and point at me with derision come baby's first months when I talk about how incredibly exhausting it all is, but at the MOMENT (and I do have one experience under my belt) I'm actually looking forward to birth because I honestly think I will be getting more sleep! At least the first couple weeks when my mom is here to help because though I may be up in the middle of the night nursing, at least if I nap during the day I'll still be able to (or at least I was with Abby) nap in between nursings.

So last night I was so thrilled, I was asleep somewhere between 1am and 2am - not just in bed, but asleep. Then, horror of all horrors, I woke up at 4:30am. And it was just as if I was starting all over. AND my internet was out. SO I made muffins and scrap-booked and tried to keep the complete frustration from claiming me.

I dozed for about fifteen minutes before Abby got up at 8 and simply had to nap during pre-school. I am just not sure what to do. Everything seems to sabotage me (i.e. napping, trying to sleep earlier, not napping)

This is just getting more and more annoying - though - my scrap booking is just getting more and more complete. Check off:
Family Cruise
NY/CT
England/other Sandra adventures
Abby's "Baby Book"
the start or Jack's Baby book
current in 'everyday' book
revised and completed previous year 'everyday' books
scanned non-digital important pictures.

Next up is either:
Steve & Adrea "The First Ten Years" (granted I'll still have two years to really truly complete that one) or
Favorite Artsy

4 comments:

diane said...

sigh...

Jen Gray said...

okay, I SOOOO feel your pain. I was awake between 2:30 am and 5:30 am this morning. Was my baby awake? NOOO. Suck suck suck. I bought things online (may regret this later) and ate pie.

I agree, at least in those early days, no matter how weird and tiring it is to be awake in the middle of the night, you are guaranteed to have so many arms to help hold Jack and take care of general household stuff that you will probably get overall more hours. But then (sigh) grandma will go home, hubby will go back to work, and you will be tired all over again. God forbid you are like me and have a non-sleeping baby AND insomnia. Life is not fair. pout.

However, I am under the illusion (or delusion?! ha!) that somehow it will all work out. I am feeling more at peace with my lack of sleep. And least that's what I keep telling myself. zzzzzzz

Ada said...

Jen! Yeah, the one thing I can say I'm happy with is that my coping is productive and makes me happy...

More in a second - I'm going to edit that last post...

Anonymous said...

for me, "4th trimester" sleep (i.e. the first three months of a newborn's life) is always better than 3rd trimester sleep. i just can't sleep during the 3rd trimester. i'm too big, uncomfortable, thinking about stuff, can't be on my tummy...it's just no fun. i feel your pain. next time i am up in the middle of the night, i will email you. we will need to come up with a signal for when we are nursing during the night, too.