Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Not a Nice Mommy

Abby's going through a difficult stage. Granted, it's only been about two days, but boy is the difference clear. It didn't take long for me to be very serious about nipping the behavior in the bud, but here are some of the comments made by Abby when Mommy (for no valuable reason she could see) would not let her get her way:

You are not being nice, Mommy, don't you want to be nice to me? You have to be nice to me.
Momma, you can't do this, you're not listening to me, you're not understanding.
No, you can't be smiles, because I don't like you to be smiles.
Momma, don't be proud of me. I don't want you to.

and, after being sure none of these pleas will work:

Momma, I'm not going to ever go to danger again.
Today, I am gonna show you I can get in the car by myself and I'm not gonna run away.
Momma, I brought my purse and my phone just in case I was wanting to cry.

Have I mentioned I love it when the technique of leading her to her room works? And works like magic?

edited 8/9/07 to add:
It's one thing to be not a nice mommy when I know I'm socializing Abby or just being a good mom, a good disciplinarian or what have you. It's another when I make a bad decision and can't take it back easily. Abby was at Steve's parents and made a bead necklace as she does fairly often except she wanted to keep it and my first reaction was no because we don't take any toys from anyone else's house - it's a generally bad habit because they often never get back there. But in this case it was a gray area if not a totally clear area that I came down on the wrong side. And there is just - I don't know if anyone but that child's parent can tell the difference between a tantrum and a true injustice cry, but I felt awful, still feel awful. More so because in her hiccuping way from the car she said Zoozy had said it was okay. Ugh, insert self-flagellating swear word here. As soon as she said that I knelt down and asked if that is what Zoozy had said and when Abby nodded I told her I was sorry, I didn't know Zoozy had said it was okay and that we would get the necklace (I didn't specify when). As soon as I said it - righted the injustice - Abby reached out and hugged me and said thank you. GEEZ the heartache of screwing up but OH how sweet my daughter is and how awful the responsibility that she trusts me so implicitly not to make these mistakes... She was perfectly happy then, deliriously so when Daddy put her princess sheets on her bed - telling him thanks and how strong he was and how cozy this was and how she loved it (simultaneously repeating she was sorry she peed on the bed earlier today with total sincerity but without shame). Purely for my own selfishness I retrieved the necklace ten minutes later while she was still going to sleep so that I could have it off my conscience/heart. She said, "Oh, thank you," in this soft, sincere whisper. It's impossible to parent without one's heart breaking at least once a day. Sigh. At least I can sleep now.

1 comment:

Creative Mama said...

Your an amazing mother... I hope to follow in your foot steps... no one is a more dedicated and loving mother...