Sunday, November 23, 2008

Organization


I feel its impossible to explain to you organized types how someone as naturally messy as myself can feel that things that are too ordered cut off my ability to concentrate where as a bit of disorder and freedom seem the most strictly in order and the most satisfying to work with.

The picture above is an example of my current photo working process. Rating and sorting photos as I scan through them. Yes, I'm aware there is fantastic software out there that would do the same thing - but it wouldn't you see. When I write it out I have instant access to my own decisions, if the frame right behind the one I wrote is better, then I cross it off, no having to unsort or unrate or search thru the different buckets to figure out why I rated what.

It's might panic a few of you - but that's okay. It soothes me. I've tried a lot of methods (yes the technology ones) and this is the first thing that makes me happy rather than overwhelmed and lost.

I imagine when I've got my own studio and assistants, they'll tell the documentary folk about what a convoluted system it is, but how it seems to work for me. They'll think I've got a bit of genius to me... yes, I think this method suits me fine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i gotta say--as a super-organized person, that's EXACTLY the system i would use! nothing better than a handmade list in my book.