Sunday, September 23, 2007

A Meandering Conversation

Discussions with Abby in which I do not always come off as the one with the answers...

Starts in the bathroom.

Mommy, I want you to stay here. I want you to look in the mirror to check that you're beautiful.
Okay.
There, aren't you beautiful? But... (laugh) Whoa, your hair looks... kinda awful. You need to brush your hair.
Okay.
And put lip gloss on so that you're pretty. Girls are supposed to be pretty.
Well... Girls don't have to be...
But not boys. (Giggle) Boys don't have to be pretty.
I - uh.. well... they can be handsome, but...
I'm not handsome.
No, you're beautiful. But you're also funny and smart and...
Mommy, I don't think you're my mommy.
I'm pretty sure I am.
No, I think you're just my mommy, right?
Yeah, I am.
Where's my family? My WHOLE family?
Well, your whole family is right here in this house, there's me, your daddy and your baby brother.
No, no, no, no. Where's my WHOLE family? ALL the family?
You mean like Poppa and Gramma and Grandpa and Zoozy?
Yeah. Yeah.
Well, they are at their homes.
I think we should call them.
Okay...
And have a party... we should have FIVE people to our house and have a party and decorate.
That sounds fun. We'll definitely do that for Christmas.
How long does it take for Christmas... does it take two minutes?
I think its around a hundred days.
WHOA. That's a long time.
Yeah, but you'll get presents for Christmas. And you'll give presents to your family!
I will?
Yeah!
Why?
Because you love them.
I don't think we should do that. I don't think Santa would want us to do that.
Oh, it's okay, Santa only does some presents, you get some presents from Santa and some from the people who love you.
But how are we going to get them to all the people around the world? (truly distressed)
No, no, we're just going to give presents to the people close to us. We'll let Santa still do the rest of the world.
I think we should have a party with a THOUSAND people. But we'll need a bigger house.
Yeah... that's...
And I think we should call them each one at a time.
Uh... okay.

2 comments:

diane said...

I will be waiting for my call....can I bring anything?

Juliana Shain said...

You should place little tape recorders around the house to record these moments.