Tuesday, September 25, 2007

A Content Frenzy...

I'm still resisting the urge to nest so much that I put us into debt, but I am happy with a lot right at the moment. Abby being back in pre-school has given me a huge increase in this sort of happy energy. My favorite pre-school days are the days where I am at home, Gladys has recently been here so I can stand in the middle of a room and tackle something usually too obscure to tackle because usually there are more pressing household chores. I'm expecting tomorrow to be that sort of day.

My scrapbooking catch-up is also pretty tempting... especially as I just found out you can order online through your consultant. I plan on getting as far as I can and then not worrying about it for a good 6-9 months of new baby's life. Getting caught up in a big chunk like this (not sure if this sort of chunks of time will be possible for QUITE a while) is actually good for me as a worker because colors and styles are very consistent and I feel like I have enough perspective to know I won't want three pages worth of this event so cut it down to the bare representative few.

Abby likes grapes AND apples. This gives me IMMENSE satisfaction. She does not like carrots. I'm not sure what's next - we've got grapes all this week.

I am 'such a nice mom' today as Dora saves the Mermaids just came out on DVD and Abby has been anxiously awaiting it. It was a completely selfish gift as I knew she would be excited about it and I wasn't let down. She breathlessly lavished me with praise for a good three minutes on the ride home: "I can't believe you got the right one! You did it! You got the right one! Thank you so much!"

I'm still panicking at the idea of being on the other side of the house from either or both of my children... this is in direct opposition to the desire I have to have a nursery set up before baby is born (this is not a huge priority, just a want).

I'm getting excited about packing my hospital bag of all things. At least this time I'll know what I want more. Last time I don't think we even opened it because it didn't have anything we wanted or needed.

I'm also already getting excited about having my body back at least partially. We're not talking figure or weight here or even independence(!) because goodness knows that will take quite a while longer. No, I'm just thinking about being a single entity again rather than a double pack (again, with the acknowledgment that I'm still going to have a little lichen for a long time). Of course, expect me to do a complete 180 once baby is born since there is a pretty good chance that this will be the last time I'm pregnant. I remember feeling a little bereft when Abby was born that I was 'empty' in a sense and that I had less control. So, with that in mind I am taking the time to enjoy the time... the miracle of the whole idea, the movements and the feeling of maternity and fertility and all that hokey stuff.

I'm also really trying to soak up my last single child moments with Abby. This is a bit more difficult because I can't run and play like she would ideally like me to, but its more just the effort to enjoy it - not focus too much on December... which is where my thoughts rush to if I don't slow them down. There's a lot still to experience before baby gets here.

Abby's Halloween as a cow for instance!

On another note. The funniest thing about being an Oprah watcher is that you tend to start thinking you have all sorts of disorders that I don't have. Monday's show was on bi-polar people and some of the symptoms are... well... normal people symptoms and you start questioning your sanity. Okay, you may not, but I do. Like take voices in your head. I have my voice in my head, does that count as 'voices'? I don't think it does...

8 comments:

Dave said...

"Start questioning your sanity?" Ha ha ha, that's good stuff...

Dave said...

Enjoy the "one child" moment in your lives, because it will never resemble anything like that again. It is such a change in dynamics - at least it was for us. The memories of Wesley pre-Julia feel extremely distant. And easy.

Creative Mama said...

what a beautiful rant ... I have to come see how you've organized your scrapbooks... been considering starting one now for M... simply so I'll have one for him later in life... and he'll feel cherished...

diane said...

The scrapbook is a very good idea Sarah, especially since "m" (like Abby) will never guess otherwise that he is cherished. (ha ha ha hee hee and snicker a lot)

Juliana Shain said...

Oh, it counts, hunny. It counts.

Ada said...

Who said that? Voice is that you?

Dave said...

No, this is your conscience. I don't believe we've met.

Ada said...

Ha. Good try Voice... I'd know you anywhere... You're not my conscience!!! You're that friendly churro maker from across town!