Friday, July 27, 2007

Nothing...

Nothing warms my heart more than when Steve is completely and totally rude to me... when he is anxiously listening to Harry Potter.

He has got to be at the final chapter now (he's listening to the CDs) and yet we have to leave in 5 minutes to go to a family function.

He glares at me when I walk down the stairs to ask him where he is in the book, "I don't want to talk about it right now!" he spits out after a second of trying to process in his brain the answer (he is so involved in the story, it takes him out of it to try to put it in words). For you less sentimental folks, who think this is a rather rude way of answering me, it should be noted that I've asked him this question twenty or so times today.

I tell him it's time to leave and he rolls his eyes, "I have to change!" he says loudly over the sound of the narrator in his ears. Did I mention this is HIS family event? Snicker.

I'm not being sarcastic- I seriously love it. I love that he can be as involved in something that means as much to me as Harry Potter does. I love that it totally affects him and that we can share it... all be it AFTER he's done. And anyone who doesn't understand that, who thinks this is appropriate, and I mean this, doesn't understand what books, what Harry, means to me... And I wouldn't have it any other way.

I can't relate to people who can merrily go through a book as if the outcome doesn't matter. This is the way I feel about story, about character, about Harry... That a little rudeness is a proof of love!

All right, it really is time to go now... not sure how to break it to him. He can still listen for fifteen minutes on the way to the car!

2 comments:

Creative Mama said...

it is very sweet when they indulge us... how was the play?

diane said...

How weird that I understand...