Thursday, January 04, 2007

What does Adrea have in common with her toddler?

Well, I'll tell you. Routine takes away my anxiety.

Apparently I do well with routine. Today was Abby's first day of Pre-School after the Holiday break and it just felt... great.

I don't know if it is because I know she is having such a good productive thriving time developing her self apart from me and that gives me satisfaction as well as independence...

OR

If it is because, though I have been given plenty of free time during the holidays, I always felt just a bit accountable for taking someone's time - indebted - which just added to the pressure. I.E. Now I need to make up for this favor or I'd better be sure that I've provided every possible thing that could be needed by them while babysitting (not that anyone MAKES me feel that way - I just do feel that way... probably my mom's fault ;) I love you Mom). This is why (Beth and Shannon I am talking to you) I will never ever want to make you feel that way. When I babysit I want it to be pure and simple relief. I am a big girl who can find my own food and improvise if you forgot to give me the favored teether. *I feel the need to point out to the people reading this who may have babysat for me recently that this is not something they do to make me feel anxious... it really is just a me thing (ha ha, mostly).

OR

Maybe it is because I don't have to be anxious about planning my day. I'm not sure if it's like this for all momss - but I find it daunting/stressful to find that balance between filling up my daughter's day with fulfilling, interesting activities and doing the laundry. So when Abby is at pre-school it's like "Ah, I don't have a decision to make." Of course I do have to figure out what I want to do with that time but usually I have a sort of routine I follow for that too.


Either way... everything just looks more manageable.

No comments: