Monday, January 08, 2007

Chinese New Year...

Ok, as you all know I do not live my life by astrology nor do I believe it can predict the future. HOWEVER, I do believe that God created the universe and as a cool, all - powerful sort of God, it is very possible that He created patterns and that some of these things - like astrological signs and Chinese Year stuff can in fact be true because it is just someone finding patterns.

For example - I am the definition of the Cancer sign... to the TEE. Steve is the definition of the Scorpio and furthermore we INTERACT just as all the books say we will. Not everyone is so well defined by these things, but you should understand why I'm interested.

Anyway, a Chinese friend of mine wrote to say Happy New Year even though, as a rooster she wasn't looking forward to the year of the Boar. So obviously, I asked, what's in store for the Year of the Dragon people (both me and Steve... and Shannon). And here is what she came back with after searching for reputable sources.


Dragon is very happy to see the pig. After a year of challenges by the yipping dog, the dragon is ready to sit at the banquet table and rest. The tired dragon must remember that the dog is not far away and the clouds of the dog year still dampen his fire. The pig year will bring fullness to the dragon who eats slowly. Self control does not come easily to the fierce dragon, but this year there is little energy stored after battling the dog. The wise dragon will spend resources with caution and build strength for new cycle starting with the rat year in 2008. Enjoy the quiet return to fullness and do not get frustrated at your weakness after battle with the dog all year in 2006. Your strength will return. This year plan trips and business ventures that will not need your full power. Success will come slowly. You will find many reasons for frustration with family and coworkers. It is not the fault of others that you cannot provide the energy you need this year. Control your fire breath and you will receive more assistance and find good fortune.


OK SSERIOUSLY people - I could not possibly describe last year BETTER than the Year of the Yipping DOG. So, this certainly gives reason for me to hope (which I was planning to anyway) that 2007 gives us a freaking break.

And not to be defensive, but I personally interpret this as a little nod for me from God too - a little nudge that all these small, energy-draining, hope-draining trials have done their good work and some respite (well-earned, I am not too sure) is in store.

He's got to talk to me somehow, right?

However, I'm going to find out when the next freaking yipping dog year is coming and prepare myself with a cabinet full of burnt fudge.

note: Okay, just found out it's a twelve year cycle. So the last year of the dog was 1994 which ... yeah... wasn't a good year. Next one is... what... 2018? Yeah... not looking forward to it. Going to save money somewhere and hole up.

6 comments:

Chef Ed said...

so am i a tiger or a rabbit? my b'day falls before chinese new year, so i guess i'm a tiger. sad. when's my next good year? ... i already KNOW it's not 2007. only 356 days to go. sigh.

Ada said...

NO NO! Oh Goodness - You're Right - you're a rabbit... stand by for revised email with your coming year

Dave said...

The year of the yipping dog is nothing compared to the year of the bloodthirsty hairless otter. Just a heads up.

Ada said...

I'm a DRAGON, Dave, hairless otters - bloodthirsty or not - are nothing to me. That damn dog just annoyed the hell out of me... everytime I burned him to a crisp he just came right back...

In fact... aren't you the year of the Rat? Your year is coming up... you'll invite me to the table, right? right?

Dave said...

I seriously have no idea what my yearly beast would be... 1970?

Lori said...

1970 was the year of the dog - unless you were born at the beginning of 1970, before mid-February or so, in which case you might be a Rooster. The Chinese New Years tend to run from mid-February one year to mid-February the next.

The forecast for 2007 for Dogs is:

The dog leaves the dominant energy of 2006 as the pig arrives to close the cycle. The dog will continue to enjoy good fortune, but should look inward during the pig year. The feast of the pig year will be enjoyed by the dog only if it is shared with family and friends. The dog is still full of energy and will find that this attracts new friends. Relationships that begin in this pig year may be a source of good fortune in the next 12 year cycle. Calm and relaxing activities are the best idea for the dog who wants to be prepared for the rat year of 2008.

I found that here, along with predictions for the other Chinese zodiac signs:

http://www.chiff.com/a/chinese-horoscopes.htm

Calm and relaxing activities it is!

(Hi, Adrea!)