Monday, January 29, 2007

Nobody was going to play with me...

That's what Abby said when we left school today after I asked her if she played with anyone.

She didn't seem upset or sad about it, mind you and I'm quite sure she is having a great time running from activity to activity. I should clarify that the reason it's important to know if she's playing with other kids is that it's a developmental thing - however, when she says things like that - it's just my own insecurities and fears amplified because I love her so much.

But hey, there's a lot to say for loner-hood (not that I believe this is Abby's fate)... I turned out great.

*Sigh* conversation I just had with Abby:
Me: Who did you play with today at school?
Abby: I don't know.
Me: Did you cook today?
Abby: Henry didn't want to cook with me today.
Me: Well that's okay, but did that make you sad?
Abby: No.
*I kissed her*
Abby: Mommy, you're being so silly.

I know... I know...

1 comment:

Dave said...

Heart wrenching. Every time Julia is demanding my time or attention and I have to explain to Wesley that I cannot drop everything and play trucks in his room upstairs, only to have him respond by withdrawing into his own world and playing quietly with a somber look on his face (which is a mood that is sometimes difficult to break), I feel the pangs of guilt and fear that I am turning my son into a loner and/or a recluse. The fact that he still is not in preschool (potty training - ARGH) seems to make his interreaction with Shannon and I crucial to his social skills. Overreaction? Probably.