Monday, October 27, 2008

First Hair Cuts



Abby and Jack had their first "salon" cuts last week.  Jack got his curls which were dangerously approaching mullet status and Abby just got the tiniest trim that could possibly be taken.

We have, (like a lot of parents - my mommy included) been threatening for quite a while that if Abby wants to keep her hair long, she has to stop over-reacting to her hair being combed.  She had been doing leaps and bounds better so we definitely were not going to enforce that one.  I know, I know - a mistake... we're trying here people.  

Anyway so sweet girl, informed that she was going for her first hair cut had a nightmare the night before, "I wish my hair would grow LONG RIGHT NOW"she wailed in panic, "I LOVE my HAIR" - she's still asleep while crying about this.

I many many times tried to set her at ease.  

While we were getting shoes on right before we left she came to me - just the most penitent brave little girl, "I promise to be so much  more patient when you brush my hair ..."  she dissolves into tears.

Sigh.  And my ears simply ring with what a jerk I am.  I promise again it will just be a trim and that healthy hair grows longer faster.

A memory she won't ever retain, but that will probably haunt me for years.  FYI it IS easier to comb thru now and it does look quite a bit neater.

JACK did not like being in the seat at the kids' cutting place any more than Abby - but he was a bit more entertaining rather than heartbreaking.  He just kept trying to get a look at either a) the lady that was mysteriously behind him and b)the weird loud tool she used.


No comments: