Monday, June 30, 2008

Along Those Lines

Work on a photo/Take a photo every day.

I am trying to focus on pushing myself closer, more unconventional... And I can learn from every photo session I do. How I should have moved here, how I should have... well... moving seems to be my thing. It's like the whole: when you put chapstick on, do you move your mouth/head or do you move the chapstick? I tend to move my head. I should be moving the chapstick.

For those of you still with me after that little illustration...

Another thing about turning this into a profession. I don't think that every good photo makes every subject look beautiful. I think we understand and accept "character shots" a lot more for babies and kids than we do for ourselves and yet those are so much more interesting and precious. And yet if I'm expect to make everyone not just look like themselves, but look... how they want to be...

Which I don't blame them at all because I would be difficult too- pictures of me that other people love, I don't like at all. I'm very specific about what I like, and how could I possibly have everyone describe to me how they think they look beautiful. To some extent even whilst being artsy I will try to make people look their best, but capturing the moment is more impressive than a wrinkle in the nose... at least it should be... but I feel the same way - if I really truly think I look hideous, than the moment is overshadowed. I pride myself on being open to the moment even if my nostrils are flared inches wide... but still, if I had my druthers... Well, you get the idea...

People!

No comments: