Thursday, March 01, 2007

Her Own World

My mom let Abby pack a bag last weekend presumably for their trip to Gramma's office. It is a canvas bag with an image of a cat on it. Abby has become inconsolably attached to the bag. Nothing can come in or go out of the bag without careful consideration and mostly it's still a 'no'. She asks where it is if it is not right next to her. She wants to know if it's okay. To the point that now she refuses to carry it as a bag itself, but has stuffed it in this Tinkerbell bag and now intends to take this entire two-purse contraption to school mid-March for her next Talk-Share day...


Abby is her own person and has been since she was hours old... or pre-natal if you ask me. As she gets older and is able to communicate more, I understand her more. For example, in the car Abby likes to be with her thoughts. She does not normally like to converse - if she wants to converse there is nothing you can do to discourage her. But mostly she sings or pretends to be talking or playing with someone else or just stares pensively out the window. If we try to break her out of these moments she says, "I'm sorry don't want to talk right now, I'm busy." (which she says all in one breath).

Recently, when she goes to sleep, no matter how much she has fought, when she is really and truly tired she murmurs, "Excuse me, Momma, I think I'm going to take a little nap now."

For some odd and almost certainly psychological reason I had more anxiety over Abby's first picture day at pre-school than about... uh... some other thing that I should reasonably have more anxiety over. But it's passed us and hopefully she didn't look to straight at the camera (revealing the fact that her pony tails were sadly unsymmetrical. Part of the anxiety is that she wanted to wear her BLUE dress and it's cold out and the teacher's don't like her to be cold and Abby doesn't like sweaters and I just felt it was going to be a fight but it all worked out of course.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Talk share day" must be an interesting event...pretty cute. mom