Sunday, August 23, 2009

Oh Baby, Baby

So we id the 3-d ultrasound thing for Finn this Friday... and got about... a two and a half second look at his face.

He had his hands - BOTH hands - in his face the entire time - mostly chomping down on his fingers. Wouldn't you know the mom who hates, detests, worries over, moans through her kid's teething is probably going to have a baby teething in utero... and don't tell me maybe it'll be over quicker... because it won't. Nothing makes teething better in this household. Nothing but burnt fudge for mommy.

Somehow the ultrasound lady got a picture of that face ... though for all I know she has a stash of other baby photos she can sneakily stash in there in cases like this.

He looks pretty cute from the one moment we saw him. I always find the 3-d sessions awkward - like it's the only way I really really connect that there is a solid little baby in there - AND he has a totally independent life going on in my very own body. Who knows how long that day he'd been sucking on his fingers? But did I have any idea? No! And now, what's he doing now do you suppose? I don't have any clue. Just some bumping and thumping prove he's there, but as to what he's doing there - it could be a kegger or some such craziness. BUT it's also nice to put a face to the HUGE belly bulge that has become my stomach.

He looks pretty dang chubby already if you ask me - but according to the emails babycenter sends me every week he's only a little over 3 pounds.

Abby, my sensitive girl, was bouncing off the walls being generally... hmmm... adolescent most of the time but then we had her try to tell Finn to move his hands already. And wouldn't you know he responded. She has a way with boys, my Abby does. BUT we kept having her yell things at him through my stomach and at one point the ultrasound lady pointed out he had started crying. Which no one ELSE connected to Abby, but Abby sure did. She put her hands over her mouth and ran back to her seat and refused to talk to the tummy again "in case - I don't want to hurt his feelings again".

I really really feel now that she's entering an awkward phase - just like - can't quite control her energy or doesn't really get when she's being funny vs. when she's going to be shushed. Heartbreak of all heartbreak - I also can't tell 100% of the time when she's being dramatically upset just to be upset and when she's genuinely moved. She will do the whole "I'm going to make myself cry" routine which our response is "Stop. Stop, or go ahead and go to your room to cry." But sometimes, I won't realize something has hit her and for example today when told to stop crying (we don't like YELL this or anything - we're just trying to stop the train of thought/the kinetic motion almost) she said, through sniffles, "I'm trying, I just can't."

OH just sock me in the gut, I'm going to have that moment replaying in my head for years. Of course a hug and long talk are then in order.

And then there is Jack. Who, on the one hand, keeps thrusting "Baby" at me (whether it be the huge punch-a-penquin he has or a baby doll) and stands back expectantly wanting me to pat and comfort the baby. If I put the "baby" down he gets annoyed, picks it up and gives it back to me. On the other hand, the boy wants nothing to do with anything if it's not a ball. And a hoop would make it better... and by the way - a hoop off the ground would really be something... He waits expectantly under the basket for someone to lift him high so that he can dunk the ball... AND he also likes to hold onto the rim and swing. Poppa was taught this game when he was the only one strong enough to oblige.

Jack babbles and babbles and babbles -telling us ALL sorts of things, often emphatically which we don't understand. But boy is it obvious he understands us. When he had his grip on Gramma in our house and she started mentioning it was time to go back to her place he prompted "Cat" and she said "Yes, Gramma has a cat, we can see the cat" and then he prompted, "Car." and she said "Yes, we'll go in Gramma's car." These are the two things she most often highlights when trying to tell him when we're going to her house.

He is slowly, slowly becoming less of a koala. Whenever possible I do NOT carry him. And he is so proud of himself when he's walking so proud.

He loves Abby and Abby loves him. She'll clown around for him and he'll grab her by the ears or the hair to give her a passionate hug, then insist that she carry him around. Let's hope Finn can get some love too.

Those are the babies at the moment in this house.

I am done done done being pregnant, but have a LOT to do before the baby comes, so I suppose there isn't much to be done but not pay attention to the fact that I'm done and just pretend I'm not worried that the belly is very shortly going to be big enough to swallow me whole.

2 comments:

diane said...

so where is the face????? Post is somewhere if not here.

Albert said...

My little princess!