Sunday, August 23, 2009

Abby: Peacemaker, Candymaker

When I went to a few therapy sessions while pregnant with Jack the therapist asked what MY reaction was when my mom got stressed - I had, of course, thrown her under the bus as a possible model for my anxiety. Don't worry mom, I LIKE our anxiety. It makes us special.

Anyway, I couldn't totally remember, but boy do I see Abby responding to mine. She goes into peacemaking or 'trying to make it better' mode - not sure how to say that in one word. She pats my arm and tells me "Don't worry, Mom, it'll be okay." She may get frustrated with me at times about it, but still will use this consoling, calming tone. So sad. Next time I go into therapy I'm going to ask how to help her not feel she needs to do this. Because more often than not, NOW she's doing it when I'm trying to rush her out of the house and it has nothing to do with me being overly anxious.

Though. Sad. My mom and I went to a little lecture from some big name child psychologist and she asked everyone to promise never to use the words, 'hurry up' or 'come on' or other rushing words because kids aren't wired to rush and it stresses everyone out when we try to force them. But dang it - it's HARD... I'm just going to have to rush my kids now and then. I WILL however be conscious of the problem and try harder to get us started earlier or what have you... though you know... sometimes... it's just a cross they'll have to bear sometimes.

ANYWAY even when my mom and I or Steve and I are making fun of each other - mock fighting or whatever, Abby will pipe up, "I love you BOTH!" or "Don't worry Mom, Jack thinks you're funny some of the time." or "Jack still loves you when he's tired." or just plain, "Guys, be nice."

SO that's my little peacemaker. Jack doesn't seem to care much at all about joking or non-joking tension whereas Abby used to pick it up easily at this age and younger.

She is ALSO wildly into making candy or possibly anything desert oriented? And NO not just for the obvious reason of eating it. Steve taped a Modern Marvels (History Channel) on Candymaking I'd say... a year ago? Maybe less? Abby asks for it consistently and watches it over and over - fascinated and wanting to visit all the factories they show on the show. She never asks us to go buy the candy or anything like that - she's just fascinated with how it's made. I think she'd love it if we DID try to make some, but we'll save that up.

She loves Ace of Cakes too. I don't know why we don't just spend more time watching cooking shows - I don't think she's AS interested in cooking all food.

3 comments:

Lori said...

You should record some of the Food Network Challenges with the cakes and candymaking. They've had Disney Villains, Disney Princesses, Pixar, Ice Age-themed cakes, Shrek cakes and other cool stuff that she'd probably be interested in, and they had circus-themed sculptures that were made out of chocolate and sugar arts. I'll bet she'd like those, too. I do, and so does Rachel.

Ada said...

I wonder if they are on hulu...

Lori said...

Looks like they just have clips from the show on Hulu. They repeat the episodes from time to time, though. There's a Cirque du Soleil episode coming up September 15 and a candy castle one on September 21. Those will probably be cool.