Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Must be A Trashy Day

Just noticed James' post on his trash company adventures and thought, "what a coincidence!"

Two Tuesdays ago one of our two huge trash cans disappeared on trash day. I was pretty sure no one, not even teenage hooligans or random Satanists meandering down our street would have stolen it, and cans have come and gone before thru our trash company - usually for the betterment of everyone involved.

I finally called today. The very nice lady looks me up. Oh she says, they have begun "systematically taking the cans" from our street.

Huh?

The City of Altadena apparently has had complaints about the size and noise and general manner of Allied Waste's trucks and certain streets are now going to be serviced by one guy in a little truck with a dumpter on the front, so the cans have to be small enough for him to manage. And of course our nice huge company given ones are not.

So... you were just going to take my other can one day too and not tell me? I ask, confused.

Oh, well, you see, because Altadena allows multiple vendors they couldn't send out a citywide notice.

Weird, I didn't ask if the city of Altadena was going to tell me, see because YOU actually ARE aware that I'm your customer and you even have my address. Heck, you visit me weekly.

SO, since we have to buy our own trash cans now (long suffering sigh, the big ones were soooooo very nice), we're switching to the people that recycle for you. Athens I think, I'll double check.

4 comments:

Creative Mama said...

that's awesome.... and by awesome I mean... DUMB...

also. It's 1:15 and I'm still awake... why o why can't I fall asleep when I should... Adrea.... did you give me your disease? ;)

Albert said...

Isn't it just SUPER how local government burocracy reads your mind; decides what you would like to have - nay, what you NEED; then so generously implements their plan without troubling you to give any feedback! O Slow Buurrrnn.

diane said...

How crazy is this?!!

Lori said...

Doesn't it boggle your mind, the way some companies do business? I can't imagine how the conversation went in the meeting about this.

- "We're taking the larger cans away from these neighborhoods because they'll need smaller cans that our employees can handle manually ."
- "Are we going to give them replacement cans when we take the larger ones?"
- "Replacement cans? Why on earth would we need to do that?"

It's enough to make one wonder how that company has managed to stay in business. At least you have options available!