Saturday, September 06, 2008

Coronado Crazy


Sandra and Julian (my friends from England) are in San Diego this week, so, rather than trying to plan one perfect day with them, I decided to take the kids down (and Steve when he was able with work) and just hang out in Coronado for the same week and get in a lot of little time with them. MarySue offered to drive down with me (Exactly how would I have unpacked the car without her?!)... which happened to coincide with a trip Sarah was taking leaving Micaiah open for an adventure. SO off we ALL went for 24 hours of three kids, no dads, and Coronado madness.

Marysue was stuck in the back of the Enclave with Micaiah, his snacks, his two b's (blankies - the original and most important one of the two we left and we had to turn around at the first light) my luggage, and Jack staring at her trying to psychically convince her to let him out of his seat.

We're pretty sure David was praying for us (as he had seen our rather un-optimistic faces as we set off on our journey) because I've never had such an easy drive to San Diego- Kids or no kids. Micaiah had his nap right on time, Jack had an EXTENDED nap, Abby did NOT nap but was content to listen to music, stump Zoozy on a guessing game, and chatter a lot about whatever was on her mind.... and try to get Micaiah's attention (whether or not he was asleep).

We visited Noni first - finding out first hand just how many ways three kids and three age groups could get into trouble in one house.

I immediately ran out for food as we hadn't wanted to disturb our luck in our car ride by getting off the freeway for nourishment.

Then it was off to the condo where more craziness ensued. Not a moment was wasted. In other words the MOMENT we opened the door we had trouble. The keycard that we use to get in and out of the complex fell off the keychain - we let it drop in favor of getting the kids in without dropping them. And then we went back to fetch it about fifteen seconds later. Only to find it was no longer there.

Marysue and I both questioned our sanity. Finally, I thought to ask Abby. "Micaiah picked it up."

Uh oh.

Now, Micaiah is not exactly a troublemaking kid... but he IS a "live in the now" sort of guy and when questioned had no idea what we were talking about.

Ohhhhhhh dear.

This is not un-complicated by the fact that there is termite construction going on on the facade of the condo balcony and the workmen had put down plastic on the carpet and had piled all the furniture up to the sides of the room.



So we spent a good... 15-20 minutes looking for the white keycard (all along the white carpet and white chairs and white fireplace and white tiled floors), in between sofa cushions, on white stairs and white linens. We shadowed Micaiah until he very firmly suggested we go shadow someone else... off a cliff.

We gave up and it promptly appeared on the white stripe of a white & cream striped chair.

As I unpacked the car a gentleman approached me asking how long I planned to stay. Ummm... I don't usually tell ax murderers my travel plans... but I had a lot of heavy luggage, I figured I could make it fall on his foot and get away. When I told him, he said he'd try to keep his guys out of there for me then. Oh good... the ax murderer had friends who often went in the condo... and finally I realized I was talking to the foreman for the construction. I'm very glad I didn't break his toes.

I have no idea what the next few hours held - it was a blur. Mind you Jack's front teeth are cutting thru moment by moment.





At some point, Zoozy got the idea to give all three of the kids a bath. She, clothed of course, ended up taking a bit of a ... splash shower herself. Which she said was worth it due to the amount of giggling from Jack it produced.

Noni, Sammye, and Becky fed us dinner and provided some distraction for the kids. And somehow bedtime, Sandra & Julian's plane landing, and clean up all ended up happening at the same time. I left Marysue to fend for herself (at least Micaiah was already asleep). I can't say my sweet children made it a particularly easy (think screaming Jack and Abby getting out of bed 20 times and finally falling asleep on the couch) couple hours for their Zoozy, but when I got home everyone was asleep and well, so I have no complaints.

The next morning... ahh... well... more blur. Zoozy made french toast for the kids, Jack discovered the dishwasher, and we all discovered the workmen were working just outside the windows... whoops - perhaps appropriate pajames would have been a good thing.




Somehow Zoozy got packed up again and off we went for Noni's... there was talk of going to the beach while I went to visit Sandra & Julian at their hotel pool but the ages just do not lend themselves easily to one set of hands. AND they were more than happy to explore and roam Noni's house.

Micaiah and Zoozy went off to the train station without further ado and my two and I headed back to the condo for some quiet time.

Jack went down for a nap, Abby got in some good dvd player time and I just sat on my rump and enjoyed Coronado - and pretended there weren't workmen at the windows.

1 comment:

Creative Mama said...

dude. I don't know how your guys did it... and Cai picking up the card is just soo caiah...