Monday, July 21, 2008

So I married a triathlete... and so did his brother...


Steve completed his first triathlon yesterday. (That's his wave entering the ocean)


(note M's shirt given by his auntie becca "my mommy tri s"


It was a "sprint":
1/4 mile Swim
12 mile Bike
3 mile Run

Now, since Chris (that's Chris running with friend, Aaron, Chris is looking tough because I mocked his sweet pose earlier) brought this up to Steve several months ago Steve has been biking and running up a storm. He knew the swim was going to be his most difficult part... but I think anyone deciding to do this should note that the "swim" which, doesn't it sound sweet? Such a cute little word. The "swim" is a ROUGH and COLD and SALTY water swim... i.e. in the ocean. Steve did fine of course, but its the "swim" that looked awful as us spectators watched experienced (and not so experienced) swimmers veer off course, get towed in, and get stuck in the tide not going much of anywhere as they optimistically continued their stroke.

Ugh.

Otherwise, hey, it was fun. Sarah signed up and became Steve's official triathlon power of attorney - helping to prep Steve on what to bring and bringing extra fluids for him. So Maggie and I cheered on the three athletes and my camera ran out of batteries at the finish line so I just had my little elph.

Abby and Jack were pampered at my dad's (we'd also brought my mom along to help).

Everyone did incredible and I can safely promise here and now you will never... not ever... see me doing one of these. I will however, take pictures.

1 comment:

diane said...

It is perhaps significant that there were MANY more people standing on the beach looking on, than athletes entering the water.

and...I don't want to seem judgemental here, but Chris still might want to work a bit on the "manly" thing.