Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Redemption

I know... I'm a little off my rocker when it comes to taste. Literal taste - as in one of the five senses... not as in 'taste in' clothes or art.

But few can deny that while difficult and odd and generally useless, I DO seem to have a genuinely sensitive sense of taste.

My mother, who has been battling this sense of taste of mine since I first saw Aaron refuse his first egg, is a hold out.

She thinks its all in my mind.

For example, she does not believe that I can taste a difference when she uses food coloring in cake or frosting.

It is totally different in taste and texture - especially when liberally colored... which is Abby's favorite way of coloring food.

So I said, go ahead, test me.

So blindfolded, with my mom administering the test. She gave me just the two bites to start with. And I knew IMMEDIATELY when she gave me the food colored one. (To be fair - since her frosting is not a precise art, I needed to taste both to tell the difference - but I did - in fact that should give me DOUBLE points because the frosting doesn't always taste the same and STILL I could taste the food coloring).

Despite this, she still didn't believe me. Mix it up, I challenged - give me two of one and one of the other or none of the other. So I got 2 out of 3 that time but only because I doubted myself...AND I was still completely sure when I got to the food coloringed one.

SO 3 out of 4, blind, taste test.

Do I get solid recognition from her? No. She still doesn't believe me. But that's fine. She can make me cupcakes every week and I can keep proving my useless talent. Works for me.

5 comments:

diane said...

One person's "talent" is another person's "BANE", especially if the other person is the first person's mother.

I HAVE suffered the taunts and pity of other parents as I struggled to feed a child who stopped eating Cherrios when the recipe changed and who cried and boycotted Instant Breakfast when they did the same.

I DO suffer when I can't change my brand of vanilla without being found out.

I WILL suffer, I expect, because now that she has no doubts, she will be insufferably smug.

Ada said...

mwah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Juliana Shain said...

ungrateful

Ada said...

AND smug

megan said...

Adrea, I believe in your crazy skill. :)