Thursday, April 05, 2007

Foil?

So, I've been wondering recently if my whole 'friend' issue has to do with my reading world... or tv/movie world.

I think ideally I get annoyed when my friends are not devoted to me and my life. They have moods that don't further my plot. They have families that they need or require something from them. They get hurt, annoyed and offended by me - they misunderstand me, they don't have the exact right thing to say which will inspire the next epiphany every time we talk. Everything they say doesn't even apply directly to the overall arc of my storyline. They don't act as my foil - they act as if they are independent of me!

In short, they don't seem to be written to fit especially into my story.

The nerve!

Is it weird that I am actually a little bit hurt by this sometimes? It's funny - to encourage some down and out person on his show, Dr. Phil (yeah, I admitted it - I watch him - wanna tussle?) sometimes says, "You've got to be the star in your own life."

Not a problem with me! I've always felt that, done that, lived that. My mom is so proud of me for being a trooper after the top layer of skin on my face was burned to a blackened crisp by a citric acid peel @ the dermatologist's office. And hey - I appreciate being appreciated for that. But I was how I was because I had this whole plot inside my head - the temporarily deformed heroine taking on the world and probably some international mystery while I as at it.

So, star in my own life - check. Now where do I sign up for side kicks?

Steve you ask? He's more the arch nemesis type - isn't he? He would have so much fun being deliciously evil. I'll bet he'd have his lusciously nefarious outfit all designed in his head if you asked.

Of course it's not the whole 'would you rather be with someone you love who doesn't love you or someone that loves you but you don't love' question because in the books it doesn't have to be a either/or. The friend is written to just exactly fit and balance and like/appreciate me just exactly as much as I like/appreciate her.

AND she'd obviously move wherever I move and find a house two doors down and promise never ever to move away.

I dunno - it seemed reasonable a few years ago...

2 comments:

Juliana Shain said...

But Adi!!

It's my lil car, not me, who is not devoted to you and your life. You can call me anytime and I will be thrilled to be your adoring audience!

diane said...

and to put the record straignt...I didn't love you BECAUSE you got your face burned to a crisp and then faced the world like the heroine you are. I always "loved" you. It was simply the moment that I truely appreciated you for being different than me...and fell "in" love with you for who you are. I suppose that sounds convaluted...except it is not always easy to let go of the need to understand another person (especially if it is a child, spouse or friend) and learn instead to value surprizes.

I just happened to learn this life changing lesson from my daughter...