Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Catch-22

Jack was drowsy in the car on the way home from pre-school. He nodded off as we pulled into the garge.

I put sleeping Finn in his crib then walked Jack up to sleep in our bed. Everything seemed perfect.

Jack could not fall asleep.

Jack did not fall asleep.

I could not cheat and drive him back to sleep because Finn was asleep in the crib.

Now he will fall asleep on the way to pick up Abby. This would be best if I could leave early so he got more sleep before 4pm which would then push back his bedtime. However I can't put Finn in a car seat an hour early because he will have already slept and will eventually get pissed off and then will scream and there I will be stuck with a screaming Finn and a woken up Jack who not only will tantrum due to lack of sleep will also keep EVERYONE else up tonight with night terrors because his nap wasn't perfect.

GOOD
nIGHT
NURSE

update: okay, so Steve has been telling me for YEARS... YEARS not to be defeated so easily so... Finn woke up cranky - instead of putting him back down I put them both in the car at 2 (abby's pick up is 3). Jack went to sleep. Finn is talking. I debated and debated and decided to come back home - put Jack to bed in bed (it worked - in fact the only reason it didn't work the first time is that I believe if he knows he's going to poop he doesn't go to sleep - great something I once again have no control over) and Finn is watching Barney not stuck in a car seat. What about sweet Abby you ask? She's off to after school day care... another sacrifice in the war on sleepless nights.

One more note. The thing that makes this all the more urgent is that EVERYONE sleeps ALL NIGHT long as long as Jack gets his nap. It's a tad more complicated than that perhaps, but not much. We're not giving up this progress without a fight.

No comments: