Saturday, May 14, 2011

Abby LOVES the laundry

So due to recent events our laundry has gotten out of control.

It's clean, but it's in baskets piled to the moon.

So I resolved to make a dent in that today and I did. The boys clothes are all put away - mine is set up at least in the right area, the towels are together etc.

I brought Abby's consolidated laundry up to her room and took everything OUT of her closet and re-organized with her at bedtime.

She had a BLAST.

I don't remember the last time she was so totally content for such a long time - just thrilled. Thanking me every two minutes for passing her more clothes or for letting her help.

She actually wanted to do it alone she told me, but at the same time was glad I was there for my help.

Sheesh, she's just looking for some sort of sweetness medal. She EVEN... I almost forgot about this. So, my sentimental girl, when faced with a skirt that was for 6 year olds argued for it's life here in her closet by saying, "but mom, I like to keep this for the memories."

BUT three minutes later I gathered three things up that need to be donated and she was FINE with it. That girl is dying for more responsibility.

2 comments:

James said...

This may or may not help - we have clear plastic bins with each person's name on it. The clean laundry gets sorted into those. Time permitting, stuff gets folded and put away. Otherwise, we dig through the bins when we need stuff. This will become even more handy when the kids get older folding and putting away their laundry becomes 100% their responsibility.

Ada said...

That's how I grew up and that is essentially what we're doing - though going further and labeling "jack-pjs" etc.

But the sheer magnitude of the many baskets dedicated to each person before they get into the further dedicated bins in rooms is what I was sorting thru. That and the fact that Abby is so stressed about the idea of missing ANYTHING she throws her clothes into the closet in a panic.

I *think* that her love for how we organized it will help. Famous last words. But she DOES love this sort of thing so... we just have to hope she got some of Gramma and Zoozy's genes.