Thursday, August 28, 2008

Family Roles

So Dr. Phil was talking to siblings the other day, talking about how we naturally find a place or a role on our family's... and in this case, the first born daughter had already taken the "perfect" role and so when the son came around that role wasn't available anymore.

SO it made me wonder what sort of roles our kids are already displaying.

Let's see.. Abby's the club girl... ha... just kidding... I think. Oh dear... Right, where was I? Abby. Abby has taken the role of incredible social girl. So far she is enthusiastic about pretty much anything she is a part of (another part of what brought this on was I don't know what we should encourage her most toward yet... art, music, drama, dancing - what will be her passion? not necessarily her career, but her passion). She is brilliant, interested in learning and knowing everything. It's too early to see where she's going - but I have to say I'm pretty confident in the social aspect being what matters most to her.

Jack - Jack will be perfectly comfortable chaperoning Abby in the clubs - making sure no one takes her friendliness too far. But he's definitely got some sort of drive for something else. And already his physicality is just so different to Abby's. I've joked that he'll just ram against a wall until he figures out a way around it if there is something on the other side that he wants. He's relentless and, though totally social, VERY intent on his goals.

So right now I'm hoping the roles in our family are happy roles. I don't care where they find their passions and focus... well I care a LITTLE bit... I just care that they both fit into their natural wells in a fulfilled way.

No comments: