Thursday, September 14, 2006

Two steps forward, one back

So, I've enlisted the only person I know that has similar reading tastes as myself and one of my only truly trusted friends as my 'sounding board' since that is what I need to do this.

Also the book I bought is already helpful. It just helps define everything.

I know my throughline is going to be my character succeeding
I know my genre is contemporary romance
I know my conflicts are going to be relational and internal
I know the turning point for acts 2 and 3
I know that it will be a person that gives my character inspiration and tension in order to keep the second act moving.

and... well... that's all.

Next comes the fun stuff. Acts and how they arc.

So those are the two steps forward.

The one step back is that I just read the working scene I've been playing with for a month and I think it's coming off young and self-promoting. I read another draft with some very different takes and that is going to work better I think.

Of course then I have to cut the chapter up into little bits because an awful lot happens in this scene because my plot was supposed to be stuffed inside the main plot. And now I have to flesh it out and draw it out and... let's see... oh yeah! make it intelligible and exciting.

No comments: