Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Finally this sounds just about right...

On a random note, I have always wondered whether I am an auditory or visual learner. I had no idea there were quite a few classifications other than those two.

I always assumed I was visual because of my imagination and artistic tendencies. But the more I wondered about it the more that didn't track. I remember landmarks just fine - I just tend to get them switched - like on the wrong side of the street or with a landmark to some other path. But maps only confound me - they literally stress me out. If I am in charge of using it I have to keep my finger on the line we are traveling on and really can't break my concentration on it or will have to start all over.

I never really considered that I was auditory because while I certainly do talk alot and listen alot - lectures in general sound like 'Blah blah blah blah' to me. Someone starts telling me directions - no matter how important - and my eyes start to fog up.

I know I'm nothing to do with logic or math. The only A in school subjects that I never could quite get... and I tried.

Tactile though - I thought that could be an option. Because I love repetition - whether its practicing music or song or menial tasks at work or in art. That is certainly how I learned my piano pieces... by wrote over and over. But I don't really do that by touch.

Hmm. After taking a bunch of surveys it looks like auditory (or a form of it) is the clear winner. Come to think of it, even though I have been reading music since Kindergarten, I picked up a piece ten times faster if I knew what it sounded like. Also I listen to the same song - enjoy the same song many mnay times in a row. AND Steve's talk radio disturbs me so much sometimes because it's just noise - people talking starts to grate on my nerves like rubbing a cat against the direction of theor hair. Evenntually I need bouts of total silence or my brain feels like it's going to over heat.

Everyone is all of them to some extent, I realize, but I just find it interesting. When I went searching and found a basic worksheet where I fit every one of the statements. Totally unhelpful.

Here we go. I am equal parts Solitary and Aural but I don't know what either of those are... (then came social, verbal and low on the list was logic and physical - so low I didn't even bother looking them up)


The aural (auditory-musical-rhythmic) learning style

If you use the aural style, you like to work with sound and music. You have a good sense of pitch and rhythm. You typically can sing, play a musical instrument, or identify the sounds of different instruments. Certain music invokes strong emotions. You notice the music playing in the background of movies, TV shows and other media. You often find yourself humming or tapping a song or jingle, or a theme or jingle pops into your head without prompting.

You may use phrases like these:

That sounds about right.

The solitary (intrapersonal) learning style

If you have a solitary style, you are more private, introspective and independent. You can concentrate well, focusing your thoughts and feelings on your current topic. You are aware of your own thinking, and you may analyze the different ways you think and feel.

You spend time on self-analysis, and often reflect on past events and the way you approached them. You take time to ponder and assess your own accomplishments or challenges. You may keep a journal, diary or personal log to record your personal thoughts and events.

You like to spend time alone. You may have a personal hobby. You prefer traveling or holidaying in remote or places, away from crowds.

You feel that you know yourself. You think independently, and you know your mind. You may have attended self-development workshops, read self-help books or used other methods to develop a deeper understanding of yourself.

You prefer to work on problems by retreating to somewhere quiet and working through possible solutions. You may sometimes spend too much time trying to solve a problem that you could more easily solve by talking to someone.

You like to make plans and set goals. You know your direction in life and work. You prefer to work for yourself, or have thought a lot about it. If you don’t know your current direction in life, you feel a deep sense of dissatisfaction.

Again you are more likely to use phrases that reflect your other dominant styles. Here are some other phrases you may use:

This is what I think or feel about that.


The social (interpersonal) learning style

If you have a strong social style, you communicate well with people, both verbally and non-verbally. People listen to you or come to you for advice, and you are sensitive to their motivations, feelings or moods. You listen well and understand other’s views. You may enjoy mentoring or counseling others.

You typically prefer learning in groups or classes, or you like to spend much one-on-one time with a teacher or an instructor. You heighten your learning by bouncing your thoughts off other people and listening to how they respond. You prefer to work through issues, ideas and problems with a group. You thoroughly enjoy working with a “clicking” or synergistic group of people.

You prefer to stay around after class and talk with others. You prefer social activities, rather than doing your own thing. You typically like games that involve other people, such as card games and board games. The same applies to team sports such as football or soccer, basketball, baseball, volleyball, baseball and hockey.

Here are some other phrases you may use:

Tell me what you are thinking.
Help me understand this.

The verbal (linguistic) learning style

The verbal style involves both the written and spoken word. If you use this style, you find it easy to express yourself, both in writing and verbally. You love reading and writing. You like playing on the meaning or sound of words, such as in tongue twisters, rhymes, limericks and the like. You know the meaning of many words, and regularly make an effort to find the meaning of new words. You use these words, as well as phrases you have picked up recently, when talking to others.

You may use phrases like these:

In other words…

No comments: