Monday, September 11, 2006

Stepping out

Wasn't there a TV show with 'Steppin' Out' as the main lyrics? What was that show?

Hmm.

Anyway, as expected book idea fell thru. In the most loving and honestly authentic way possible. No hard feelings. Except it is now a challenge and a spur to see if I could do this on my own.

One of the reasons the book idea seemed like such a great idea - almost comfortable was that the idea itself - the idea that is not going to happen - seemed like the kind of idea easy to shop to publishers. At least something a bit different to catch someone's eye - to pitch to someone (yes yes Ephesians rears it's awesome head again - there is nothing new under the sun and I believe that - except our own selves... see GOD can do new things - ha! Take THAT Ephesians... wait... somehow that didn't come out right).

Add to that my would-be partner is a brilliant writer as well as a brilliant technical writer and it would mean two tons less work for me if she was involved - helping to detangle sentences and nix words that don't exist and tone down the dramatic angst that I tend to splurge on when writing.

So that is why there are no hard feelings because it's not that I'm as disappointed about the no partner idea as I am with how it would have 'sold' as a partner thing and there was the laziness factor that I can hardly blame on her.

The issue I have is that I feel like trying to get a novel published is on par with trying to become an actor. It's just... overdone and so unlikely to happen. Everyone secretly thinks if they just did it (wrote that idea or went on that audition) that they would be brilliant at it. Now I'm sure a fair number of people WOULD excel at these things if they went ahead and did it - I am sure there are so many more out there than we think that think this way. But even if they excelled, they may not succeed.

If I tried this I would have to get some instruction - go to one of the writer's conventions or take some classes or something like that. But, Ugh, I just hate that feeling that - it's like just the mere attempt to write a book seems SO pretentious...

Hey - I think someone CALLED me pretentious quite recently... someone who steals churros. Hey - that same person and I were once going to start a churro stand... Years ago. That person's name starts with a D and ends with an E and has an AV in the middle and who's last name rhymes with Bunningham. Look at all the business opportunities I get ditched on! I hang out with teases obviously.

Anyway. I sort of want to do this. So... I'm sort of going to do it.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Just write it. As I write this, I do recognize the fact that I am in fact the pot calling the kettle black. That said, you need to write your novel. You don't necessarily need workshops or instruction first, just do what you love. I personally have a decade and a half of excuses behind me - wait until I get this perfected, until I get that just right - and I could do that quite easily until I am 95. Its easy to wait and hope to hit a home run the first time at bat. But that's the fun and horror of being an artist - putting yourself out there, warts and all. And if it sucks, so be it. It will feel good doing it, so you will do it again and have more fun. And chances are, its a heck of a lot better. If you are passionate and you really want this to happen, it will happen. You have a talent, and you owe it to all of us and yourself to use it. That's my six cents.

Ada said...

Agreed. Chin up. Going to use Abby's pre-school time as writing time... going to use a different friend for inspiration... going to make a legitimate crack at it, dammit, to hell with pride.