Monday, March 28, 2011

Unusually Concrete


To preface my little post here - I do not totally know what Miss Milly means half the time when she talks about how remarkably aware and what a concrete thinker Jack is.  I tried to google it, but only got the little babycenter explanation of the 7-10 year old phase.

But I think I have a very telling example.  Every day of pre-school, from the very first day, I park toward the back of the parking lot so Jack can run down a little hill and down a ramp sort of area that leads into the pre-school grounds.  Two weeks ago Jack was on his way down the hill as usual when he stopped short in the middle of the road.  He had just noticed the driving directional arrows.  

At first he followed the one pointing to the left as that is where the pre-school is, that made sense to me.  But he stopped, went back to the no mans land in between the two arrows, obviously troubled by the arrow going straight.  He tried to follow both by going straight a few feet then rounding to the other arrow, but he knew that wasn't quite right either.

Of course this day I had snack balanced in one hand and Finn on my hip and really did not know how to quickly verbally get Jack out of this dilemma.  I finally sort of muscled him to his ramp and that was that.  Until it was time to go home.  Now, NONE of the arrows were going in the direction I wanted to go and I absolutely understood that this was a CONCEPT that Jack was wrestling with, his face was intently concentrating on the conundrum at hand...  but still... could we be in a less exposed place to work on these things please? Maybe? 

I'm going to have to bring my own arrows around with me.

1 comment:

diane said...

Oh my gosh. Maybe we can laminate a few portable arrows.