Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Problem With my Heart

There just doesn't seem to be any way around it. Unless the series, whether it be movie, book, or television, I should not start, I should not FIND it before it ends.

Though I hate that Firefly got canceled prematurely, I was happy that I hadn't had to live thru the whole ordeal caring about it. I knew what I was in for before I started.

Harry Potter, I really came in more than half way thru - and even that was practically unbearable. I cannot tell you how relieved I was when it was DONE and done so well, I might add.

This bbc show Being Human - honestly I'm not even sure if it will hold up with my other favorites, true favorites. I fast forward thru a lot of it anyway because it's too intense or bloody. But I love parts of it intensely x twelve. Time will tell, I suppose. But tonight it was over in the UK. They may continue, but one of the main characters has left to do 'The Hobbit.' And that's the end of the possibility of a fairy tale ending. Though, honestly it did end up a bit fairy tale in the end. Oh long story, but I appreciate that they made the decision to HAVE an end and not just have it floating out there in uncertainty cliffhanger land. Oh I'm SO thankful for that. Really, really truly thankful. The only thing that would have made it better was if they had been willing to write off the whole show instead of just the character, because just the way they ended it shows to me that they would have been willing to do a death/supernatural sort of happily ever after. You know? I don't need flowers and valentines - some version of a happy ever after would have sufficed and honestly, they did give me that mostly. As long as I stop watching.

There is the American version to see what they do with that, but it's not the same. I mean, it has part of the charm, but there was just something about this little original cast that was just plain magic. Crazy intense funny magic... (the parts I didn't fast forward ;)).

The creator even summed it up half hilarious and half heartbreaking (I didn't copy the heart stuff):

"...I guess it really hit me back when we were doing series 2, and perhaps unconsciously I shifted the stories in a way that paved Mitchell's exit. I thought it'd be better to have him go out in a scripted satisfying way, rather than lose him between series and open up with the rest of our heroes standing over a grave, with one of them saying "Wow, who'd have guessed Mitchell was SO allergic to bee stings..."


Snort. I totally appreciate that.

Anyway, I'm gutted, really sad even while pondering what it means about me that I care quite so much about the imaginary. Nothing negative, thanks, but I do find it interesting to look out around me and see people being perfectly emotionally fine in the real world focusing on real world stuff and I think. Huh. I'm different than that.

No comments: