Saturday, March 19, 2011

Better then Gutted but Better

So. I finally got to see the final episode of series 3 of Being Human. I already knew what happened as you may have guessed from my last entry because the creators themselves showed the end along with a statement as soon as it was aired in the UK. So I knew, I even saw the death and the leading up to, but I hadn't actually seen how it all came about as in the rest of the episode. I was just recently able to let it cross my mind without feeling my stomach drop out in grief, so I thought about not watching it right now, but I didn't know how long it would last up illegally on youtube, so I had to make it through or wait three or four more weeks for it to air here in America with twenty minutes cut out of it!

I was pleasantly surprised at the humanity of the writers/creators. At this point in the series it's been quite a while since we've seen the Mitchell I loved anyway, so that lessens the regret slightly - the point is the vampire part of him seems to be winning and unlike a lot of other vampire type things, the vampire part of him is never a good thing.

And even though he's not quite the character I loved, they let all the characters say everything we'd want them to say to each other. The death was basically heroic, still shocking... a lot less like the two friends standing around crying and sort of wimpily doing it (Mitchell doesn't want to kill anyone anymore and knows that he can't be good forever [not sure what message they are sending to addicts around the world since that is definitely how they portrayed the whole bloodlust thing], so he asks his friend to stake him and even that had an appropriate edge to it). I'm going to break out of parenthesis here. But basically rather than kill himself, Mitchell wants George (the werewolf friend) to do it in order to sort of wipe the slate of guilt George has since George knew best what might be going on which indeed had been going on. I know, vague, but it doesn't matter and if you knew the show you'd know what I was talking about.

My point is, I read a lot of stories, I watch a lot of stories. There are a LOT of storytellers out there that have no empathy for the readers that fall into their worlds. Or, worse, prey on the reader's feelings just to eek out more drama, more of a cliffhanger or what have you.

No, these guys have consistently given the audience the whole enchilada. I don't know how to describe it. Rather than having goodbyes almost said, heartfelt confessions only on the tips of the lips - they have the deathbed conversations at the deathbed and then... BOOM there is a knock on the door that inadvertently or dramatically staves off the deathbed after all.

Well in this case, the death still happens but in a different way than assumed, a slightly more satisfying way.

Of course, as is always the case with a storyline - whether because the author is trying to write a path to point G in the future so they have to manipulate you onto that path the best they can or because, in this case, an actor was leaving and they wouldn't recast, there was some messiness.

I.E. a new war is starting with the vampires and yes, it'd suck to have Mitchell forced to do bad things because his friends are in trouble. But there are still three friends & a baby on the way - are they NOT going to be manipulated by this supposedly hugely powerful vampire sect to save each other? And he was the only one with any sort of perspective or strength in the vampire world, but hey - no - go ahead and kill him instead, that makes sense. Honestly, it was a valid choice. I would ALMOST say a Harry Potter type of choice. A brave one. No, it doesn't fix everything - but it fixed THAT problem - no questioning and running around in circles about it, but done and done, now what? So, I dunno, I'm talking myself into it.

This is why I blog I suppose. I feel a knot loosened in my stomach.

Goodbye awesome character. See you in the Hobbit. Is Peter Jackson planning on having attractive dwarves? Certainly would make sense for making the Hobbit a little more Hollywood, and damned if it doesn't even work on me who KNOWS I'm being pandered to. Huh. So. When does that movie come out?

No comments: