Saturday, March 19, 2011

More on Vampires and Such

A very nice someone who was not rude at all about it was recently shaking her head at me for liking another Vampire thing and I didn't want to sound defensive, but I am NOT one of those people that just loves everything goth and vampire.

I have actually avoided most Vampire type things. I read Dracula as a Jr. in High School and loved it - but more for the vamp hunters.

I read one Barbara Hambly where the vampire is a good guy and that was compelling.

Twilight I totally got madly into even whilst hating it. So I certainly understand the comment, but considering how much I really do hate Twilight as much as I liked the journey, it's so totally not true.

Of course my two Being Human rants again make me look like a liar, but I think the attraction is that I love a character to NOT be slave to their circumstances or bad choices. I do not do well with characters who make stupid mistakes - who believe the wrong person other than the person they were supposed to be loyal to. And in general, if the vampire is a "good" character they are also fairly wise because they have fought against themselves, their nature, their community if you will, and are just trying to figure out how to live out the rest of their days - they are trying to be redeeming without truly assuming they can be redeemed.

Oh crud, I forgot about True Blood. Okay, in MY DEFENSE the WORLD is vampire crazy right now so it's hard to get away from in the non-reality realm! But you may (or may not) be surprised to know that there are people who care only that the character IS a vampire in order to like them, love them, follow them.

I'm basically a character driven follower. Not a type driven follower. Unless you count character traits as types.

2 comments:

Lori said...

What about Vampire Diaries? Have you seen it? I totally got hooked on that show the summer after the first season aired, and got James into it, too. I love the Damon character. One thing I love about Vampire Diaries is that stuff builds up, questions are raised, plot lines start - and then stuff moves forward, questions are answered, plot lines are resolved or evolve in a new way and new questions are raised. So many shows string viewers along with the same giant questions over the life of the series and don't do a good enough job of answering them or creating resolutions. I enjoyed LOST, but that was definitely a problem they had with all of the questions and mysteries they presented and then just left hanging. I even enjoyed the finale and wasn't bothered too much by the lack of resolution, but I wish they had done more resolving of things as they went along instead of seeming like they were just making it up as they went sometimes.

Anyway, that's definitely not the case with Vampire Diaries. Juicy plotlines and relationships, fun characters, interesting mythology, and they also actually kill off characters, sometimes when you least expect them to do so. It keeps me on my toes.

Ada said...

Vampire Diaries LOOKS like a vampire version of the Gilmore Girls - which I sort of detested. Your seal of approval means something though... do I really bother? Are you prepared to be responsible for the downfall of my character further into the fantasy abyss?