Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Unprepared

Kindergarten.

Abby was ultra prepared. I was negative twelve prepared.

What am I talking about? Let me count the ways.

On the one hand I feel like they hold my hand - sending me emails when Abby is about to miss out on something that I've missed completely.

It's not the school - it's just that I was barely aware of my shadow while pregnant. And the first few weeks obviously were just a flurry of doctor's appointments.

I thought I was doing pretty well getting in a rhythm of looking in the backpack for "Backpack mail" (which I love by the way).

Then I find I've completely dropped the ball on grandparents day. MaryAnn (family friend) saved the day there.

Then my phone is out when I get called to duty for something I volunteered for. My phone was fixed but 16 messages were out in limbo and literally just got dumped into my new messages todday. I checked yesterday - all caught up. I checked today? 17 new messages... WHAT????!!!

One of them was some guy slurring about something and us not taking his call - my guess was this was a drunk dial that got the wrong numbers. One was blockbuster. Whoops.

And not just this logistics stuff - but just in general - teasing has begun. Have I equipped Abby well enough? Does she have the right color underwear? are her socks dirty? Is her hair combed?

Gramma has been helping with that daily, but you know.

Just big failures everywhere.

2 comments:

Creative Mama said...

it's a sharp learning curve... and I'm SURE with help... ALL bases will be covered... abby will have the right colored underwear... :)

Jen Gray said...

You cannot (absolutely CANNOT) be the only parent who feels like they are just barely getting by. Sure, there are those annoying uber-parental types who are perfectly coiffed at every drop off and pick up, the ones whose kids' hair is always perfect, whose clothes always match, who pack amazing lunches, etc etc. For every one of THOSE, there are at least FIVE-TEN "Wha? It's Thursday again already?" types. Don't sweat the small stuff. Abby is an incredible child...she will survive (and so, might I add, will YOU!).