Thursday, July 23, 2009

TO the MAX

Yesterday, right on schedule, Max (my nephew) was born. Oddly enough the whole day worked out just like a normal day to US. I didn't get the email that Sarah had gone into labor until at 7am, which is the usual time I'm getting everyone up and ready to go anyway. I dropped Abby off at school and headed for the hospital, starting the waiting at right around 8am.

We had our usual Scheidler fun in the waiting room. Everything from taking silly pictures, to gambling on the baby stats (though no one writes anything down so I refuse to accept defeat) to watching tv and making fun of each other.

Caiah and Jack had a great time playing with cars and unguarded iPhones. We watched people consistently come down the elevator for no other purpose than to ride back up. My theory is that the elevator is slow so people just get in no matter which way its going counting that it'll get them where they need to be eventually. Steve had a meandering conversation with himself about baseball stats. Samantha kept in touch with Tim via Facebook chat in the delivery room

By lunch I was feeling for Sarah, not because of the pain but because Tim had told us the contractions had slowed a bit and that would have been stressful for me if I were going the no drug route - because, I think doing natural you have to count on your stamina a bit more and anything that lengthens the process... Well.. I felt for her. Of course she may have napped and if thats the case she probably woke up ready to go. I haven't gotten the full official personal eye witness account yet - stay tuned on her blog for that!

But about an hour after we had lunch Tim ran out to eat, confirmed things had picked back up and off he went. We settled back down to wait but before I could even SUGGEST MadLibs Tim ran back out to say Max was here, but he had NO information because it had literally just happened - one push and out he came.

So then we settled in a while again... next time for the visits. Max is a VERY healthy 9 pounds 10 ounces. CUTE as a button. And in no danger of being put down on his own anytime soon.

By the time we got home it was 4:30 - just like a normal ole' workday. A bit surreal but all in all a pretty productive non-productive day!

No comments: