Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Friendship and the Sexes

Abby had a little digestive problem (a little digestive problem that was so bad it was running down her legs) while Wesley was visiting today. And I felt bad for her because she was embarrassed and I felt bad for Wesley because Wesley tried to give her a hug while I was cleaning her up and she wouldn't let him.

Anyway Shannon was trying to get out of the way and they started to leave and Abby started crying in earnest then which, luckily, I knew meant that she wanted to say good bye properly. So I called out to Wesley who came immediately running back and they shared just... the most sincere hug that has ever been hugged by 2 year olds.

You know, everyone has to know, I am not in any way serious when I jest about Wesley and Abby growing up to get married - but can I just say how funny it is to watch female and male so totally clearly illustrated in these two little munchkins. When Abby is emotional (which is often) Wesley doesn't understand and eventually gets frustrated because he doesn't understand and starts to get anxious about her emotion. When Wesley won't follow Abby when she calls, she comes over and tries to take his hand and lead him. And they just genuinely care about the other. I am serious that I hope they remain friends. There won't be any pressure - but... they're good kids... and it would make life convenient for the two sets of parents!



So I love Abby, I love Wesley, I love that I know Abby's signals, I love that she loves her friends and family so very much, and now I must get back to putting a wet washrag on her bottom (i don't love that part as much). The glory of motherhood.

4 comments:

Dave said...

Funny, I was never one for "inherited" traits in boys and girls, and always just assumed it primarily had to do with the way one grew up... until I had kids. Almost since birth, Wesley has had a preoccupation with all things "male" - trucks, balls and running at full speed. When I see him around Abby, the difference seems so obvious. And where did Wesley pick up these masculine traits? Certainly not from anyone in our house, hehe...

Ada said...

I've just been constantly amazed at his inherent maleness (especially since I know how you like to dress in th privacy of your ... perhaps I've said too much) and Abby's inherent girliness. Just ask Shannon - I am obsessed with how clear it is. She thought it was interesting the first thirty times I pointed it out. He is SUCH a boy and she is SUCH a girl - right down to feigning interest in what he likes. She hates ants but if Wesley is watching them - they are suddenly very interesting - she kneels down next to him, inches closer til she is almost as close to the insects as he is, laughs, points, asks questions pretending to know why the are watching ants. But at home she still stops on the stairs if there is an ant on the next one and will go no farther.

Dave said...

LOVE the photo you added. I know your love is for artwork (and drinking), but you seriously should think of publishing a collection of your photographs sometime, you really have an amazing talent for it...

Ada said...

Thanks Dave. Seriously. :) (and no I didn't just slur that S)