Thursday, December 28, 2006

Sleep patterns

I was just tonight feeling convicted that I needed to go to bed earlier because in the morning I am a total zombie until 9 - which sucks for Abby who wakes up at 7.

But I am realizing that Abby's skin problems are waking her up every morning at the same time - 5:27 or so. And every morning she comes to my room and asks me to stay with her for one more minute. As it usually is literally about thirty seconds before she's asleep again - I have said ok and counted to ten and walked out of the room back into bed.

Every once in a while the itching is so bad that she can't get back to sleep and I'm stuck in her room... like I am now for example. And I'm fully awake and in a basically good mood and not at all a zombie.

So, I'm sitting here wondering if my sleep pattern - specifically the lighter part of my sleep pattern - specifically the best time for me to wake up is 5:27. However, when I stumble in here, it's not like my mind is totally clear and ready for the day. But I definitely become awake easier.

So, on the one hand, my guilt is assuaged about staying up late because the culprit may just be that sevenish is deep sleep for me. And on the other hand, if I'm going to embrace this theory I'll need to go to bed quite a bit earlier because I can't last the day with five hours sleep particularly when the five hours is post-midnight.

Cute Abby quotes in regards to her sensitive skin (she has had a long term mild to moderate rash. We went to the doctor who said that her skin is very sensitive and all we can do is slater Cetaphil Lotion on her and give her Benedryl every night before she goes to sleep):
quote 1: (spoken to the doctor re: looking at her rash) I think you have to read me.
quote 2 (while touching her rash all over her belly): Look, look, I'm all skin-y
quote 3:(waking up itching): My skin is back, my skin is back.

Record of if treatment is making any difference: Started Tuesday night. I know she woke up at least two of the last three nights. I'll start keeping track.

No comments: